8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so recently I had thought of adding a aftermarket sub to my FA5, most likely something in the lines of a Alpine Type R. However, the only down fall is that this will add more weight to the vehicle which in the long run will slow her down a little. My question is that all you guys that add sub(s), do you see a difference in any performance from adding it? On average, how much does a sub, box, and amp add to the car. I love my clean rich bass but am just debating if its worth it. Just want to know what all you guys think.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
A sub/box/amp can weigh anywhere from 50-100 pounds. Either way, it's not going to make that big of a difference in performance. Take it out when you go to the track. If you do think you notice the weight difference, it's most likely all in your head.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
A sub/box/amp can weigh anywhere from 50-100 pounds. Either way, it's not going to make that big of a difference in performance. Take it out when you go to the track. If you do think you notice the weight difference, it's most likely all in your head.
Yea I recently just added 1 12inch sub and amp. Im guessing it weighs roughly 40 pounds or so all together. Really can't notice or feel any difference from before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In all honesty, I think it makes a fairly noticeable difference. Back in the day, I had an 12" Alpine Type X sub, with the Alpine MRD-1000 (i think) 1000w mono amp, and a ported box in my 1992 Civic Si, and it made a significant difference.

Acceleration and braking wise it wasn't very noticeable, but when it came to cornering, oh boy, that extra 90 lbs in the trunk made a huge difference! The ass-end of the civic felt a whole lot more stable when I removed the box. I purposely made it so that it would take no more then 2 minutes to remove it for those days that I felt like pushing the car around. Under normal driving though, it wont change much at all.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're really worried about it, buy a fiberglass box. That will save the majority of your weight.
Yeah fiberglass boxes just costs too much. Its not really a big deal, I just wanted to know if there was any guys who actually have noticed a difference in performance. However, idk how these guys with 2 subs do it, thats WAY too much weight for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In all honesty, I think it makes a fairly noticeable difference. Back in the day, I had an 12" Alpine Type X sub, with the Alpine MRD-1000 (i think) 1000w mono amp, and a ported box in my 1992 Civic Si, and it made a significant difference.

Acceleration and braking wise it wasn't very noticeable, but when it came to cornering, oh boy, that extra 90 lbs in the trunk made a huge difference! The ass-end of the civic felt a whole lot more stable when I removed the box. I purposely made it so that it would take no more then 2 minutes to remove it for those days that I felt like pushing the car around. Under normal driving though, it wont change much at all.
Welcome! :wavey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts