8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an amp in my 2006 Civic Hybrid. I have the factory Nav. unit the problem I'm having is there is a slight humming noise coming from the speakers but when I remove the high level inputs it goes away. I've tried hi to low level adp. but nothing works can anyone help.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I wish I could help you out here, but I'm not familiar at all with factory stereo integration.

But, I'm pretty sure I've seen this come up on this forum a few times. Do some searching; I'm sure you'll find it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does your system have the external amp? How did you connect the aftermarket amp to the factory stereo? If you have the same factory NAV as the other Civics I can help you clean it up.

jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used the speaker outputs off the radio and went through the hi level input on the amp ,grounded it to the body of the car and ran the 12volts to the battery ,also grabbed the speaker wires at the back of the radio and ran it to the amps output. Their is no external amp in the car. I did change the factory speakers so th stock ones are not in their.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Where is the amp mounted and where did you run the wires from the head unit to the amp's high-level inputs? I have a similar setup with a non-Navi EX running high level into an Alpine MRP-F450 and I don't have any noise problems. In my car, all wiring is running down the left side to keep it away from the main wiring harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wiring is running down the drivers side of the car and my amp is mounted under the drivers seat. Its weird it's not alternator noise, it's just a hum even when the car is not started.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When you say, “hum” I assume you are talking about a low frequency sound as compared to a higher frequency alternator whine. Here are some tests you can do to help isolate the source of the problem.

Disconnect the input cables from the amp and connect an Ipod or audio device to the amps RCA inputs. Play the system and listen for the noise.

Connect a portable audio device (boom box) with an aux or cd input in place of your amp (using your LOCs of course). The boom box should be running on its own battery to isolate it fro the cars electrical system. Check for the HUM.

Play a test CD with a silence track (use track repeat) and adjust the volume level at the HU from zero to full. Does the hum change with the volume setting?

Do you get the hum with accessory power or only when the car is on (ready to drive). I’m curious if the hum is coming from the power inverter.

Run these tests and let me know the results.

jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts