8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i am planning to add an aftermarket amp to the stock soundsystem, i have an 07 ex and i have a 4-channel vr3 400 watts amp, will it improved my stock soundsystem a lot? will blow my speakers? i am a noob when it comes to electrical stuff

·
Registered
134 Posts
It may improve it just a little bit as but the stock system is good if you are just going to keep your speakers and such. It won't blow your speakers.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
indoxbo1 said:
so i shouldn't add an amp unless im planning to add aftermarket speakers also?
if you could only see the magnet on the stock speakers. I think they are the size of a half dollar. I'd wait til you get some replacements or you'll just be rewiring anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sgtpruitt said:
if you could only see the magnet on the stock speakers. I think they are the size of a half dollar. I'd wait til you get some replacements or you'll just be rewiring anyway.

ok thanks, i guess i'll just wait to save some more money to buy new speakers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah def. replacing the headunit might make the stock speakers sound better due to more eq settings.

If you are gonna run an amp, then you wanna replace the speakers. you can do it for under 200 bucks.

I plan on getting a JL 500/5, IDQ 12, and CDT 6.5 coaxials.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Aside from the sarcasm, it's a better idea to replace everything at once so you don't have to do all that rewiring or have to pay a little extra if you go to a store to do it for you. I recommend a new head unit, new speakers and a new amp all at once.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Of course you'd get responses of 'replacing it all'...

350-Watt AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD Premium Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer ...is what you get stock.

Now I'm not sure if the 350 is in regards to the amp or what...but if it is...seriously adding a 400watt amp instead of the stock one...would not blow your speakers.

Voiding warranty etc; Depreciating value of cars etc; blah you can get replacements.

All in all, no point in adding the amp since it's not much better than stock.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Andre07FG2NBP said:
Of course you'd get responses of 'replacing it all'...

350-Watt AM/FM/XM Ready®/CD Premium Audio System with 7 Speakers including Subwoofer ...is what you get stock.

Now I'm not sure if the 350 is in regards to the amp or what...but if it is...seriously adding a 400watt amp instead of the stock one...would not blow your speakers.

Voiding warranty etc; Depreciating value of cars etc; blah you can get replacements.

All in all, no point in adding the amp since it's not much better than stock.
It was a joke. No one should really be concerned about blowing their audio..now if you blew your motor, that's a whole different story.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I don't think you need to get it all. Otherwise you're going to give yourself a crash course in one weekend and you won't have the time to learn.

I'd say start off with a good headunit. Think of the things you want (ipod, mp3, sound equalization, etc) your headunit to do and start looking at cd players with those options. A h/u is rather easy to install and it'll be your first step down the line. Plus, since it doesn't have anything to do with any other components in your car at the time of your install you won't be retracing that particular install again. Put the h/u in and you never have to touch it again.

Then as you're able to save buy you a new set of speakers and an amp to match. I do agree with buying the speakers and amp at the same time if you plan to install as soon as you get it. You can always buy an amp or speakers and hold out on the install until you get the remaining products.

If you want suggestions we'd be happy to help out. Just give us a budget.

PS: If you really do like the looks of the stock cd player you can keep it, but I'd highly recommend getting some aftermarket unit( such as alpine's pxe-h650 or Rockford Fosgate's 360.2) that will defeat the factory eq settings and will give you a chance to shape the sound you want.

·
Registered
235 Posts
sgtpruitt said:
thought i'd illustrate sgtpruitt's point. here on the left is the stock 6.5" woofer, and on the right is a 60W aftermarket 6.5" woofer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replies, definitely considering replacing everything. i just want to improve the stock soundsystem without doing too much of replacing the parts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts