8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as something of a new guy to the Honda game I am unfamiliar with Honda views on Acura and vice versa.

Do some Honda people 'graduate' to Acura? Or is Acura seen more as a distinctly separate entity? Is there some kind of familial respect or likeness exchanged?

In brief: what's the situation?

Also, what do people think about Acura cars in general?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Acura is geared in general to a more mature/older crowd
and
Honda would be geared more towards a younger crowd

both are made by Honda, some models have a lot in common between the two brands. You really can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I think some of the last series acura's were nice. The old tl and tsx. That said if I were to go luxury it would 100% be either bmw or audi hands down. My mom has a new tsx and I think its a waste of money. Quality isn't as good as a bmw. Plus the new acura line is fugly with all the parrot beak front ends. Especially the TL what the **** happend to the tl. It used to be half decent looking, now it looks like a bloated camry or something

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
^Agreed.

Acura is just more luxury oriented. It seems like they've tried to get more upscale and move farther from Honda with their latest models. I don't like the designs with the ugly chrome duckbill, but I guess someone thought it was a good idea. They're really the same thing though, same company same chassis in some cases.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Acura is geared in general to a more mature/older crowd
and
Honda would be geared more towards a younger crowd

both are made by Honda, some models have a lot in common between the two brands. You really can't go wrong with either
Disagree

Acura is directed to the higher middle class

Honda is more directed at the lower middle class to mid class. Don't think age has anything to do with it.

Acura is just a fancy Honda. Same engines, and same basic body styles. Most parts are transferable.

My 1.6 el has the same drive train as a canadian 99 SI

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
acura is the luxury version/brand of honda, altho acura does not exist in japan (i.e. honda integra, honda nsx, etc.). like toyota = lexus.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
They do not. Acura is an American company.

Cliffs: American businessman liked Hondas but wanted something fancier...started Acura...partnered with Honda.
That's a bit misleading. Honda wanted to make fancier cars...so they did. They sell them as Hondas in everywhere they're available in the world (a TSX is a Euro spec Accord, I believe it's also sold in Japan as an Accord, and I think the other cars are unique to the US market, but based off existing Honda platforms) but in the US, they decided to call them Acuras and start it up as a luxury arm...and recently they decided to make their vehicles as fugly as possible just to see if people are still stupid enough to buy them.

Very similar to Nissan/Infiniti as most all Infiniti's are sold in Japan as a Nissan (G line is the Skyline line in Japan...Skyline 370GT to be exact, not to be confused with the GT-R, which lacks the Skyline nameplate completely, the M is the Nissan Fuga in Japan, etc etc).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts