8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I wanted to get some feed back on
My current situation I recently got in to a car accident with my civic .....air bags deployed both driver and passenger. Car is getting fixed not by Honda and I saw the car a couple of hours ago and reasoized the lights were really off and complained and the owner said that's what happens once you get I. Accident it's never the same.... Please tell me if I'm over reacting. ! R:bsflag:

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
The owner of the body shop told you it's normal for the lights to be off? Everything should be brought back to spec after the accident and rebuilt. There is no reason why the lights should be off, other then shitty work. I would be careful, but do not jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey guys I wanted to get some feed back on
My current situation I recently got in to a car accident with my civic .....air bags deployed both driver and passenger. Car is getting fixed not by Honda and I saw the car a couple of hours ago and reasoized the lights were really off and complained and the owner said that's what happens once you get I. Accident it's never the same.... Please tell me if I'm over reacting. ! R:bsflag:
Do you have pics? What is really off about them? The guidlines for autobody structures is within 3mm of original specs. That should not give you a visibly different look to the front of your car. Take the top cover off of the radsupport and measure the car from the front hood hinge bolt on the body of the car to the first fender bolt on the opposite side of the car making an "X". If the measurements are exactly the same then the front of he car is square. Measure also for length from the same hood hinge bolt straight down to the first fender bolt. Take the measurements from the center of the bolts not the edge and make sure the tapemeasure does not stretch over anything cause it will effect the measurement. You may have to get creative. If the hood hinge is to far back and stuff gets in the way then you can use the top of the studs on the struts (don't use the center of the strut. Only the studs that the nuts go on to bolt them into the towers). If the measurments come up the same for both sides look for honda on all the parts that were replaced. The problem could be cheap knockoff parts. The headlights will say Honda on them if they are OEM. I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Here's an example of the bad bodywork I had done at Continental Autobody in Victoria, BC. There's a text file with a description of the problem in each photo. I'm still fighting with the insurance company over it. They also broke or lost $35 worth of snaps, grommets and inner door hardware that I had to fix myself. I noticed once the back door stopped working.

Index of /civic

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's an example of the bad bodywork I had done at Continental Autobody in Victoria, BC. There's a text file with a description of the problem in each photo. I'm still fighting with the insurance company over it. They also broke or lost $35 worth of snaps, grommets and inner door hardware that I had to fix myself. I noticed once the back door stopped working.

Index of /civic
For the most part I would agree. The painter can't paint thats why the clear coat is shiny in some spots and rough looking in others. The sand scratches are definatley a warrenty issue and insurance should have nothing to say about that. The Body work on the front door looks like it gave the tech some problems. I am not defending them but those doors are a ***** to repair. Notice the lack of bodylines in the majority of the door and try just gently pushing on it. You will see that it is really flimsy to start with and that makes repairs very very difficult. Usually ICBC does not understand that sort of thing so the repair time was probably low which is why the body work looks like that. But if you are not happy then it should be warrenty work. The side mouldings I am not surprised to see because they are tough to get off. As for new scratches......I am not trying to start a fight I just want you to know that we hear "it wasn't like that before the accident" about a hundred times a day. It comes from people trying to scam for free stuff and people that never pay any attention to how the car was to start with, but now are putting it under a magnifying glass because of the accident and realizing that the car is not in the perfect condition they thought it was. Then they blame us. These cars doors never fit the quarter panels at the bottom edges and you get people saying you lined the doors up wrong. Another problem area right from the factory is the front door to fenders. These defects vary depending on where the car was assembled. And everyone knows the paint sucks. Mine has factory dust nibs and its peeling off at the tail lights. I spent a good hour or so making my fenders and doors fit right when the car had only 25kms on it. You could very well be the victim of a careless shop and I think that could be the case especially looking at the problems in the bodywork but ICBC and the shop should have pictures of your whole car before repairs if they did their jobs right so ask for them. That is most likely why you are having troubles getting someone to believe you. Bottom line I think you have a good case to have the work re-done but you are gonna have a big fight over the swirl marks and new scratches. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Guerra16 need to post pics! As for killsw1tch, That paint is awefull! I just had my drivers side fender and doors painted thanks to 50 mile wind and a shopping kart! 5 hrs repair to the driver door and 6 hrs on the rocker panel! I specifically told the shop that I dont want to see ANY tape lines on the rocker! Bodywork on the rocker is beautifull. The door panel however looks a little wavy if you get down and look at a tight angle. overall, the paint is beautifull texture wise, a little too much metallic, but thats hard to mach. I am overall pleased after the shop replaced some interior pieces they scratched. I would definetly stand your ground. when it comes to bodywork, the littles things add up fast! I dont care if they were there before or not! there job is too make the repair undetectible to a lay person, NOT to stand out!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Guerra16 need to post pics! As for killsw1tch, That paint is awefull! I just had my drivers side fender and doors painted thanks to 50 mile wind and a shopping kart! 5 hrs repair to the driver door and 6 hrs on the rocker panel! I specifically told the shop that I dont want to see ANY tape lines on the rocker! Bodywork on the rocker is beautifull. The door panel however looks a little wavy if you get down and look at a tight angle. overall, the paint is beautifull texture wise, a little too much metallic, but thats hard to mach. I am overall pleased after the shop replaced some interior pieces they scratched. I would definetly stand your ground. when it comes to bodywork, the littles things add up fast! I dont care if they were there before or not! there job is too make the repair undetectible to a lay person, NOT to stand out!
jeez man 5 on the door and 6 on the rocker that cart got ya good. The only thing I can add is that at least here the bodyman gets paid by what that work order says so if it says 5 hours I only get paid for 5 regardless of it taking 10 hours or 2 hours so if you have a few little dents and dings and I get your repair done under the time sure I'll take care of em. If the time is short corners are getting cut and you can thank the insurance company for that because there is nobody on the planet that goes to work and does it for free so you can't expect your bodyman to either.

·
Registered
353 Posts
jeez man 5 on the door and 6 on the rocker that cart got ya good. The only thing I can add is that at least here the bodyman gets paid by what that work order says so if it says 5 hours I only get paid for 5 regardless of it taking 10 hours or 2 hours so if you have a few little dents and dings and I get your repair done under the time sure I'll take care of em. If the time is short corners are getting cut and you can thank the insurance company for that because there is nobody on the planet that goes to work and does it for free so you can't expect your bodyman to either.
I used to be an estimator while in college, so I was very suspicious of 5 hours repair on a door panel- that would seem like too much bondo- but the foreman I spoke with mentioned that because of the civic's thin panels, more time is requried to work the metal to use less filler. Make sence to me- keep in mind the shooping kart flatted the door and left a few grill marks on the door. It was borderline in need of a skin- but ive seen skin jobs goo bad! As for the rocker- it was caved in a good 6" wide thanks to the bottom of the Kart.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used to be an estimator while in college, so I was very suspicious of 5 hours repair on a door panel- that would seem like too much bondo- but the foreman I spoke with mentioned that because of the civic's thin panels, more time is requried to work the metal to use less filler. Make sence to me- keep in mind the shooping kart flatted the door and left a few grill marks on the door. It was borderline in need of a skin- but ive seen skin jobs goo bad! As for the rocker- it was caved in a good 6" wide thanks to the bottom of the Kart.
Your forman was a smart man. I wish every estimator thought like you guys. Metal does crazy things when you bend it and most people don't get that it stretches after damage and the actual damaged areas become harder steel than the steel around it. Honda uses some of the thinnest steel to keep weight down and with such a large flat area in the door and no bodylines to stiffen it up it can be a real challenge. And door skins are the art of this trade and will tell you how good of a bodyman you really are. A poor bodyman can make a real mess of a door if he is not skilled enough to make the repair. I have seen a few really poor jobs done and brand new door skins full of bondo. I was lucky and was taught how to do a skin by a 25 year vet that is possibly the most passionate bodyman I have ever met. When ever we get a new guy in the shop he always says "we'll see how good he is when he skins a door". When he showed me, he said that when I went back to school and we have our door skin test that he guarenteed I would have the best one and he was right. I got 98% and I lost my marks because I refused to tack the skin in the places the teacher wanted it done because it was stupid. I have my way and it's the right way. lol.
Anyways it's nice to talk to an estimator not a guesstimator. Peace.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to the boy shop today to take a look i complained again and he agreed to fix the problem NOW i saw the bumper he painted an saw he painted over the black parts where the foglights would go and the center part that is also blk!!!! is this a big deal or am i over reacting??? i was planning on getting some fog lights with my income tax refund lol. Will the paint chip once i make a hole there? Ill post some picks asap.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Im going to the boy shop today to take a look i complained again and he agreed to fix the problem NOW i saw the bumper he painted an saw he painted over the black parts where the foglights would go and the center part that is also blk!!!! is this a big deal or am i over reacting??? i was planning on getting some fog lights with my income tax refund lol. Will the paint chip once i make a hole there? Ill post some picks asap.
lmao...painting over is not a big deal, but is a sign that these people don't really put much effert into their work. I would be happy to get my car back and never take it back to them.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's 100% your choice where your vehicle gets fixed after any wreck. The insurance company is required to pay them in full (minus your deductable of course) up to the level of insurance you have. The insurance can complain and try to get you to pay part of the expense, but just threaten to sue and they usually straighten up quick.
If your car isn't fixed, as in back to the condition it was in before your accident, make them keep fixing it until it's fixed. Never accept second rate repairs.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I've just got my car fixed after being hit in the front by a flying tire. I just got the car back and did notice some imporfection in the bumper but it is not that noticable, besides I have a lifetime warrenty on the work they performed so if it starts to bother me much I'll just take it back to them to repair. Only problem I had was when they replaced the light bulb, instead of replacing it with the ones I had before which were the Sylvania Ultra bulbs they took out the other one and replaced both with Sylvania Cool Blues, I will have to go to Pep Boys or someplace to get the old bulbs back on since the new ones I don't like so much and if they'll fit my mom's nissan altima I'll just put the cool blues in her car since she is using hologens.
But the work that the guy was talking about, yea they did a pretty crappy job. When you get the car back after the parts were painted there should be NO SCRATCHES WHERE THEY FIXED! When a body shop works on a car they must fix it to factory looking. Anything less is unexeptable. As for his work I would have not taken the car out untill they fixed the mess they did.
Also remember that if the work is crappy you also loose value in the car as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've just got my car fixed after being hit in the front by a flying tire. I just got the car back and did notice some imporfection in the bumper but it is not that noticable, besides I have a lifetime warrenty on the work they performed so if it starts to bother me much I'll just take it back to them to repair. Only problem I had was when they replaced the light bulb, instead of replacing it with the ones I had before which were the Sylvania Ultra bulbs they took out the other one and replaced both with Sylvania Cool Blues, I will have to go to Pep Boys or someplace to get the old bulbs back on since the new ones I don't like so much and if they'll fit my mom's nissan altima I'll just put the cool blues in her car since she is using hologens.
But the work that the guy was talking about, yea they did a pretty crappy job. When you get the car back after the parts were painted there should be NO SCRATCHES WHERE THEY FIXED! When a body shop works on a car they must fix it to factory looking. Anything less is unexeptable. As for his work I would have not taken the car out untill they fixed the mess they did.
Also remember that if the work is crappy you also loose value in the car as well.
Just to let you know the only thing the body shop is "required" to do is fix the new damage and the related problems. If your bumper has road rash on it then expect it to still be there when you get it back. When we repair those types of things its to be nice cause we don't get paid for that. So don't expect it back in factory condition if you play bumper cars a lot. And if you press the issue you will be told to f**k off.......nicely. I am going through this right now as of yesturday with a car I repaired. He drove his car through a bush and scratched all down the drivers side of the car. He says it wasn't like that before we fixed the car. We have the pictures and it was. Banging up your car is not a fix all my problems lottery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts