8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my AC just died on me yesterday. We're coming up on the hottest week of the year here naturally.

Some back story: I noticed the AC was weak so I bought a can of refrigerant and filled it up a little and it worked better. This was about a month ago. Then yesterday on the highway, it just went out all of a sudden.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did search after I posted this. ...seems to be pretty common with these cars. I'm going to buy a can of refrigerant with a gauge and see what I can see.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it appears that I overcharged the system. Which apparently is the same as it being under charged. Should be between like 25 and 50 psi and mine is at about 100.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Buy a gauge from auto parts and check it. Mine leaks a little but every year i always refill it with a can from auto parts. Make sure you dont buy the ones that seal leaks. You are going to ruin your ac by using that. Use regular.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this same problem just last month thought it needed to be charged up because it would still blow just not cold so I took my car to a local shop and had them recharge and diagnos the problem. They told me I needed to replace my compressor so I looked into it a little more myself and found out that all I needed to do was go to the parts store and buy a $14 cabin filter. So long story short I replaced my cabin filter and it went back to blowing just as cold as it should.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check the clutch set. Mine was so rusted it would go on for 10 mins and then start blowing hot air. I sprayed some rustkiller and my ac been working again ever since.
Ps ac was working for 10mins and cut off for about 2 years. But its working like a champ again afer that spray down. But check first. That rustkiller spray could cause fire if not done right.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the clutch set. Mine was so rusted it would go on for 10 mins and then start blowing hot air. I sprayed some rustkiller and my ac been working again ever since.
Ps ac was working for 10mins and cut off for about 2 years. But its working like a champ again afer that spray down. But check first. That rustkiller spray could cause fire if not done right.
Where is the clutch set located?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Left bottom. Under the serpentine belt. If your ac works a little just watch to see if the ac clutch switches over. Mines would turn back on if I switch the ac clutch over manually. Figured was very rusty so it couldnt do it by itself. But after little lubing and putting it on and off couple times I guess it knocked alot of the rust off. Works perfect again for me

·
Registered
407 Posts
Same. But acura. If the relay doesnt help its the coil clutch. Its usually rusted so it doesnt engage sometimes. My easiest fix was to spray the rust killer. But it waw on my car not a customers

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Honda wants $130 to even LOOK at the problem so they can take a hike.
The good thing about Honda diagnostic fees is that they usually apply that to your total bill if you elect them to make the fix. And they are the best.
The bad - simply with A/C, even if your car is brought in without a A/C system, they will charge you for Freon discharge/environmental fees and Freon charging fees. Minimum $600.
That is why I went without for so long.
/wasn't worth going without
//ante up
///pay the experts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had it looked at and it's the compressor. $800 fix.

How in the eff does the compressor go out on a 2006 vehicle? Doesn't bother me because this summer is almost over and I'm trading this car in before next summer.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Had it looked at and it's the compressor. $800 fix.

How in the eff does the compressor go out on a 2006 vehicle? Doesn't bother me because this summer is almost over and I'm trading this car in before next summer.
If that compressor locks up and you need a A/C bypass belt then I have your part # lol. Any A/C fix other then the simple fuses or clutch is $600-800. Vacuum out, fix issue, new drier parts, recharge. To me it is like diagnosing a horse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
part number?

If that compressor locks up and you need a A/C bypass belt then I have your part # lol. Any A/C fix other then the simple fuses or clutch is $600-800. Vacuum out, fix issue, new drier parts, recharge. To me it is like diagnosing a horse.
[URL=http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/2006SIMC/Horses_zpss7siicpg.jpg]image
[/URL]
Ok, how about the part number then? And whats with the lol? I just wasted a ton of time searching the forums and getting a little bit of info that the belt from an 8th gen 1.8 civic without AC could be used to bypass the AC. WRONG! I bought and put the belt on and its about 9 cms (3.5 inches) too long. My civic is a 2009 and the standard no AC belt size is 1645 mm. So i figure that the bypass belt should be about another 1 cm shorter (9 + 1 = 10 - how much tensioner play is there??), so 1635 should do it. But at this point, that's just a guess. The main point is that the "no AC" belt does NOT fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts