8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my ac and was hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem. I have done lots of research on various problems with these civics but have yet to find out whats wrong.

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Sedan

My ac is intermittent, works every morning (ac clutch engages) but once the car gets warm (after 20-30km) the air gets warm and humid with a slight musty smell. After this point the ac clutch no longer engages until the car sits for a day or so. This issue is very frustrating because when the ac clutch is engaged the air is ice cold. It's only after the car warms up that it shuts off and won't come back on. A common solution is changing the ac relay which I have done and it did not fix the problem. The ac clutch does make a distinct sound when it turns on... not sure if this is hinting at a solution or the fact that the air is extremely humid and musty after the clutch doesn't want to engage.

I'm not sure if this is an electrical problem, bad ac clutch or even a failing serpentine belt that is causing heat with friction to prevent the clutch from engaging. I guess it could also be low refrigerant?

Any help is much appreciated... hoping to avoid paying the $1000+ for a complete new system on a 10 year old car.

Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
On the cheap you can buy some r-134 with a gage and check the low side line pressure (should only connect one place) then add refrigerant till it likes the pressure. I would do this on a day the clutch engages, otherwise you'll have to jumper it on so the pressures read right. I personally recommend cans of coolant without oil If it's never been touched till now. Too much oil is a killer, but too little is worse, so you'll need some eventually if you've got a leak long term.

If you want the a.c. to run it's best and are paranoid about damaging it then take it to a shop for a leak test and refil. Won't be anything like $1000, but it is certainly more than the diy solution. It's probably an o-ring or something else small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, I had the same problem and had to remove one shim to close the gap. It's been working ever since.

I tried recharging freon, cleaning the condenser, relays, until I took off 1 shim......

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you replace the correct relay in the under-hood fuse box? The one you need is the one in slot #12
I had a similar problem with the a/c clutch and the relay fixed the problem.
Hope you figure it out soon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same issue, but it's the opposite. It will go out when the car is first one, and then come back after a bit of driving. I had the AC recharged (it needed it anyway) and the AC relay replaced, and I'm hoping that I don't have to have the compressor replaced, as that's an $1100 job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts