8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I inherited a 2007 Honda Civic that had been having AC problems for a while. It was taken repeatedly to a mechanic (recharged it, tested for leaks) because it just didn't cool well, and finally after a year or so, this summer the evaporator, condenser, and expansion valve were replaced. It cooled really well for a couple weeks and then was back to not cooling well. The blower motor is also making a weird sound like a bearing(?) is going bad and it doesn't seem to be blowing as hard as I would expect.

Anyway, the air that comes out of the vents is barely cool - when I put my hand in front of it it's just barely cooler than the ambient air. Like, I can tell it is being cooled by the AC but it's just barely cool and not enough to cool the car down. This is worse during the day when it's hot out (Florida), but even at night it's not much cooler. It also seems much worse during idling. About a month ago it would be barely cool but then the next day it might be kind of cold, and then back to barely cool the next day. Now it's just barely cool everyday.

So today I got frustrated and turned the temperature dial all the way to hot and it got hotter than I've ever felt a car's heat get! I then turned it back to cold and suddenly the air coming out was cold. I parked and went to work, and checked on my lunch and it was still blowing cold air. On the way home tonight it was actually too cold. How does that make any sense? How did turning the heat on make the AC finally get cold?

I've checked the clutch to see if it's spinning at various points when it was barely cooling and it was, and the condenser fan also spins. Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your blend door motor likely is going bad as well as your blower motor may be ready to go. Blend doors select between heat or cold. If they are not working it will blend in heated air into the cold air and result in poor performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah man, it might be your blend door motor. Mine just went out and when I took it out my AC was ice cold again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Remove the shim between the ac pulls and compressor . . My guess . If you cycle it on and off . Same thing .
The OP said the compressor was on so removing shims would not have changed his situation. I do agree on a high mileage setup removing a shim or two will certainly help give you a bit more service life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
jnissen
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing