8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone encountered ice and breaking? I encountered a skating rink of a street today and when I applied my brakes it was quite a wake up! Is it normal for the car to shudder and produce a fairly loud noise? It almost sounded like I was dragging something, I could feel the brakes pulsating but didn't realize the noise and feel they put out when on ice.

·
Tuna Fiddle
19,256 Posts
sounds normal to me. usually the first time someone engages ABS in a panic stop it is a little scary. That is why it's a good idea to try and get your ABS to engage in a safe environment whenever you buy a new car so you know what its going to feel and sound like. From what you are describing its sounds normal though, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I was just surprised at how loud of a noise it put out. It was a groan in conjunction with a pom, pom, pom, noise. It really sounded like I was dragging some metal under the car.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was just surprised at how loud of a noise it put out. It was a groan in conjunction with a pom, pom, pom, noise. It really sounded like I was dragging some metal under the car.
It's all good. That means it's working. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah my first encounter with ABS was quiet scary, sounds normal.
that happened to be when i was driving my 94 Accord back in the days
but, once you used to it, then it's ok

one thing to keep in mind
if you are driving a non-abs car, you will press/release the brake and stop letting the tire locks up

i heard someone said, don't do it on abs car
ofcoz, i dont mean stand on the brake as hard as possible
what i mean is, the computer already stimulate the press/release function, so if you do it manually the computer will think tire locks up right away and then it will release the brake again....so you will never stop your car
just try to step on the brake slowly until the car stops, don't release the pedal

try it in a safe place and you should know what i mean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts