8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but because the dealership told me this was my abs, I'm putting it in here!
We had a lot of snow here in BC a few weeks ago, and everytime I applied the brakes, I would slide and hear this god awful grinding noise. I was so shocked I didn't even notice if the brake pedal was pulsing or not......
When I called the dealership, I was told this was a normal sound and it was the abs kicking in.
Is this true????? Does it make that metal on metal sound?
I have a 07 DX-G with only 8000kms on it if that helps.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is there anyway to disable the ABS temporarily? In the summer it works great but in the snow its awful. I have a Chevy Blazer that had ABS and disabling it makes a world of difference in the snow.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Is there anyway to disable the ABS temporarily? In the summer it works great but in the snow its awful. I have a Chevy Blazer that had ABS and disabling it makes a world of difference in the snow.
you can get an aftermarket brake set up that eliminates the stock ABS. I think the rotora kit eliminates it but it also eliminates your hand brake so no more parking on slopes with that one. maybe new calipers?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Why would you ever disable it...If you engaging abs that means your at the traction limit of your tire. SO get better tires for the situation you driving in.. SNOW means get some winter tires and abs won't kick in as much. Summer means get some more performance oriented tires to reduced the amount of time abs kicks in.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Our ABS is so damn sensitive :(
Wish there was a way to turn down the threshold.
Good point. Having ABS kick in during autocross is pretty obnoxious. I only really need it for the finish line most of the time, since the last handful of courses I've driven have pretty long straights and then BAM SLAM ON THE BRAKES OR HIT CONES. I wonder if Hondata could implement some sort of adjustment for ABS sensitivity?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
That would be really nice.

Ever since I went to coilovers, the droop travel is significantly reduced, and the wheels come off the ground fairly easily. Which makes the bloody ABS kick in all sorts of times it's not needed.

I'd like to know if that's possible as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.