8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am a newbie when it comes to this satellite radio thing...On my si it has the xm/aux button. What do I need to buy to get xm or sirrius radio in my car? And which does everyone think is better. I am sorry if this has been covered if someone could send me a thread link that wold be much appreciated...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I bought the kit of the website I listed above and installed it myself...and I've never even looked at a back of a radio before in my life. It was fairly easy. If you want to run the wires right like the instructions says it involves taking the back seat out and stuff but that wasn't really a big deal IMO. Much better than paying the $240 the dealer wanted to install it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
brazilianguy said:
and the sound quality is good?
because i used my dad's sirius radio and the sound quality was awful IMO

yeah the sound quality is very clear to me except of course if you go under a bunch of trees a tunnel or a gas station lol. The instructions says mount the antenna on the front windshield..but its kinda big so i just did some changing around and stuck it on the back window near the FM antenna at the top.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thats a lot of cash. I might just go a cheaper route, not really sure what the cheaper route will consist of or if there even is a cheaper route...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
wow thats a lot of cash. I might just go a cheaper route, not really sure what the cheaper route will consist of or if there even is a cheaper route...
Yeah there is plenty of options out there to put satellite radio in your car that would be cheaper...it just won't be through the factory HU and the sound may not be as clear...at least from most the products I've seen or used.

·
Registered
778 Posts
i've had my sirius for a year now and i'm going thru the aux jack. sound quality is between the radio and CD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
In my opinion, xm is is really not worth the hassle of having to buy all those extra parts and paying a monthly fee. I ended up trying it out because my hybrid came with the navi so i didn't have to buy the extra parts. But anyways, I find myself listening to the same 4 or 5 stations constantly all of which have pretty bad DJs. I find myself using my ipod alot more often. I hear sirius might have better music but like someone mentioned before, its not a factory option. On the plus side, if you have navi, it does display the artist and track name (don't know about non-navi). Unless you really have money to spend then fine, but if you wanna listen to good music just plug in your ipod and set it on shuffle or something.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Isn't my si already xm ready? All I need to do is hit the xm button? NOthing happens. I was told I got 3 months free of xm. I never used it and have my si for 9 months. I want to try xm for 3 months like they said. Do I need to do anything. The premium sound system already says xm ready in my si.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your best bet for satellite radio is to get a plug and play receiver and then hooking it thru the Aux input. It'll have you hundreds of dollars and sound just as good as the factory setup. Plus the plug and play units have a lot more features that the factory setup doesn't have. The only downside to the plug and play receivers is they aren't integrated right into your dash like the factory XM setup. I personally haven't had a problem, I just place it underneith the radio in the space beside the Cigarette lighter and Aux input and it works great.

siriusbackstage.com has alot of installation pictures that'll give you some ideas.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Your best bet for satellite radio is to get a plug and play receiver and then hooking it thru the Aux input. It'll have you hundreds of dollars and sound just as good as the factory setup. Plus the plug and play units have a lot more features that the factory setup doesn't have. The only downside to the plug and play receivers is they aren't integrated right into your dash like the factory XM setup. I personally haven't had a problem, I just place it underneith the radio in the space beside the Cigarette lighter and Aux input and it works great.

siriusbackstage.com has alot of installation pictures that'll give you some ideas.
XM ready does not mean it has XM, It means you have to buy the parts for it to run XM which the radio can do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
XM ready does not mean it has XM, It means you have to buy the parts for it to run XM which the radio can do.
Obviously the Civic's XM Ready radio doesn't come with the XM receiver or antenna, that's why I suggested buying a plug and play radio instead of spending hundreds of dollars on the factory XM receiver setup.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Nod to above.

I was cheap and got an XM receiver installed from Best Buy. Unit and instal was like $140 total, and I didn't even get the cheapest set.

The antenna for the unit sits right above on the roof, no exposed wires. I felt 40 bucks was worth not having to wire it all in myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Satellite radio

Is it really worthwhile to buy the factory setup?

Or is there a difference between that and just buying a Circuit City version that you can take in and out of the car?

Is the antenna better?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts