8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's weather made me realize just how much larger this Civic is than the last one, and what feels like twice as large as my Tib. On my way to work today the wind was gusting up to 30 mph with normal wind speed being about 10-15 mph. The Civic was getting blown all over the place. I was pratically cringing as I came to the next valley, just waiting for that next gust of wind to hit the side of my car and blow the car 18" to the left or 18" to the right. Anyone know if there's anything that can be done about this? I guess part of it is that the Civic is light, a good 300 pounds lighter than my Tib, and taller too. I'm guessing the only thing that could help is a lowering kit, stiffer side walls, and more weight?

·
Registered
13 Posts
once the car is lowered im sure it will be better, and maybe get wider rims/tires... the factory tires on this car suck, it sways all over when i go over a metal bridge

·
Registered
573 Posts
ive noticed when you accelrate quickly.. like on teh highway.. it sways a bhunch.. scares me a little bit.. i dont even like going over 90 in it.. not that i should.. but occasionally its fun when noones on the road

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know, I thought that the wind was blowing me around alot at first too and that I was going all over the road....but after driving the car for a couple of weeks now, I think I've decided that it's just the steering. It's tight steering, but it's also quite numb. When you turn the wheel just a bit, you are moving the wheels quite a fair amount. At the same time, the lack of feedback you get in the steering wheel makes you feel like you are not so much in control. I'm finding myself getting used to it now, though.

This car feels so strange after driving VWs for so long...but it's a nice change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VWs have european handling which is definitely more aggressive. the new civics have what I call mini-GT like handling.

it corner's real well, but it's not a true sports car, so it doesn't have super duper grip but it DOES handle real well, as opposed to previous generation civics.

the previous Civic Si (hatchback) had almost european handling traits. It was very twitchy at speed and would take even the slightest steering inputs and overexaggerate them. It was that same reason I didn't buy one.

but some people like real aggressive handling (especially BMW 3-series owners).

I personally think BMWs are overrated as far as steering feel. my father had a 3-series. It was okay, but I preferred my friends Supra anyday. lol.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
civicdude06 said:
I was pratically cringing as I came to the next valley, just waiting for that next gust of wind to hit the side of my car and blow the car 18" to the left or 18" to the right.
This car wasn't designed to travel at 65 mph down the road sideways. It's aerodynamic from the front to the back. Of course wind gusts up to 30 mph is going to make it sway a bit to the sides...it's a gust of wind.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I find when I drive my Legend between huge rock walls on the sides of the road, where the wind is the worst, the car sways a lot. I don't really remember what point I was trying to make, but I'm sure it was a good one. lol. :D

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
skittleslegend said:
I find when I drive my Legend between huge rock walls on the sides of the road, where the wind is the worst, it sways from a lot. I don't really remember what point I was trying to make, but I'm sure it was a good one. lol. :D

lol...

When it becomes windy, I drive my truck, sure it has 5 times the surface area, but 6,200 lbs will keep about anything down :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
wind lol try driving a fiat 850 where more air goes under than over the car and an astounding weight of 1832 lbs (CAT scale) w/ my fat @$$ in it.

speaking of BRICKs i don't like the scion xb

·
Registered
71 Posts
one passed me last night like their house was on fire after they realized I had a new civic.

it was a waste of gas for the guy, after we came to the next stop light and he was in the wrong lane and got caught up behind a ton of cars. lol.

idiot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts