8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I got a 2006 DX-G coupe and it has ran almost 2000 kms now. And.. :eek:mg: I noticed that my breaks have gone really soft (like it goes almost to the bottom). The scariest part is, :eek:hnoes: I feel something weird/freaky whenever I press my break a bit harder. I feel some metal touching/rubbing against each other (something like that, its really hard to explain).

I could blame myself/my driving and the ugly roads. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: But I hope someone could explain what is happening.

I really love my civic, and I feel like crying coz I dont feel safe anymore.. (hehe..)

Thanks Very Much :help: :help: :help:

PS
(i will also call my dealer today)

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
definately call the dealer, and take the car to them. They can inspect the brakes and make adjustments or repairs for free. I don't want to speculate, but when brake pads are worn all the way - you'd be rubbing metal on metal. No way you ran the pads bare though, so I don't know. Let us know what they say.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
I get the same thing, But it only happenes when the anti-lock brakes kick in. I have never had a car with anti-lock brakes before.. It's a weird grinding feeling like there's little pebbles or rocks between the brake pad and rotor or somthing....

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
- if you hear something - and it feels like crap is between your brakes- this is normal. Your pedal will even vibrate on you. This is the anti lock brakes taking control. They shudder almost, it's hard to explain. If you get into a sliding situation, or whatever, they will amost make a sound like your brakes are failing, or your pedal feeling really crazy. That is normal. Keep solid pressure on the pedal - the anti lock brakes are doing what they are supposed to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I spoke with a service advisor from honda. Explained to him what was happening and basically he said it's all normal, and yes -> it's the ABS. The weird vibration is when the ABS is acting up.

Thats weird. I wonder why they didnt make it a bit more undisturbing. Anyways, it still rocks.

peace out.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
all abs is like that. It's just the way it works. It's basically pumping the pedal faster than you can. That crazy feeling is the abs working correctly. Just wait till it happens in deep snow or something. The first time it happens you almost want to take your foot off the brake - but don't.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am glad to hear that it was the ABS rather than a larger problem. I had forgotten about that as well. I have had them since 1999 when I bought an Olds Intrigue. In that time I can remember two situations when I thanked God I had them.

And Webby is right, when you feel the pedal vibrate don't take your foot off the brake. I took driver's ed in 1987 back when ABS was a $1600 option on a Ford Taurus. So I learned to pump the brakes. Basically the total opposite of what you do with ABS. So its a matter of getting used to it. For those in the northern climates go out and practice in an empty parking lot right after a snow fall. It is the best way to get a feel for how your new car handles before you NEED to know how your car handles the snow.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
webby said:
all abs is like that. It's just the way it works. It's basically pumping the pedal faster than you can. That crazy feeling is the abs working correctly. Just wait till it happens in deep snow or something. The first time it happens you almost want to take your foot off the brake - but don't.

Being a racer, I have driven many vehicles with and without ABS. The thing that should be noted here is that more "performance" or "track" tuned ABS systems will be LESS noticable on your foot and leg when activated than an more "generic" setup like ours.

Also, many people do not know that ABS doesn't necessarily mean the car will stop faster on snow or ice. In some cases, I've found it to take LONGER because the ECU is telling the ABS to keep those wheels moving until *ANY* chance of slippage stops. Unfortunately, that could be longer than you may be used to even in a non-ABS car.

Anthony "Mario" Crea

·
Registered
342 Posts
CivicWithNav said:
on snow/ice/sand any loose surface, NON-ABS will stop faster
The point of ABS is to allow the driver to steer the car while braking in conditions that would cause the wheels to lock-up and skid. This is where companies have to design their safety systems for dumbest of dumbasses on the road. A good well practiced driver is able to detect wheel lock and adjust their braking accordingly to allow steering. However since there are so many drivers out there that don't get any driver edjucation and never practice emergency braking so we all end up with ABS on our cars.

ABS if used properly once it is activated can make up for mistakes like coming into a corner to fast on a slippery road.

ABS can be a substitute for proper training or experience. I know the first time I got myself in trouble on a slippery road I just locked up the brakes and slid off the road in my 1982 Chevy Citation (my first car). With ABS I believe I would have been able to steer the car and stay on the road.

I would however like to see some kind of programable system that would allow the system to be adjusted for the road condition that the driver actually can see. If a driver could push a button when he or she is driving on snow or loose gravel or sand perhaps the activation programming could be adjusted to the point that even in those conditions it would stop the car as quick or quicker. Just a thougt...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts