8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

A2 Servicing...rip-off

61K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Hcivic14 
#1 ·
You gotta love this 'maintenance minder' system on our cars. What a cash cow for Honda.

The A2 service ...in addition to changing the oil, they replace air filter, pollen filter and INSPECT and adjust drive belt. (our cars have timing chain so I assume they are talking about the serpentine belt)...cost for this $192.00 + tax.

buy air filter at Wal-Mart $12.00
cabin filter at auto zone $10.00 and change them yourself.

it's pretty simple to inspect and ajust a drive belt yourself.

so subtracting the $30.00 oil change fee, and say $25.00 for the filters, Honda service dept.s are making about $140.00 for basically doing nothing.

#4 ·
yes! I had this issue when it came time for the Bx maintenance. I called several dealerships and they wanted something like $300 to take apart the brakes and inspect them and shiz...

I lol'd

I took it to a buddy of mine who's a tech at Honda and paid him on the clock for an oil change and tire rotation. He then checked everything else out for me...

#8 ·
I had a huge fight with the service manager over 'replacing my cabin filter.' He started telling me this crap and I owned his ass by telling him (in front of TONS of people) that it didn't even require a screw driver to get it out. He knew it and I knew it. I finally made them take the old filter out of the trash and put it back in. I ordered the new one and did it myself. Honestly, I have not been back since.

#12 ·
honda wants you to follow maintenance minder so you wont need tune up for the first 100k. but it also depends on your driving habit. you can always do the maintenance needed and it is on the owners manual. the most important part of it is do the oil change. the life of the car depends on how you drive and maintain it.

#18 ·
I know for a fact that at my dealership, it cost 154, and that was for a engine filter, oil change and cabin filter. normal oil change is 30 bucks, but I don't pay for it, it came with the car plan. but still 124 dollars for a cabin filter that took me 2 mins to do, and 12 shipped filter on ebay. I know the dealership is just like movie theaters, they don't make money on the cars/movies they sell, they make money on service department/ concessions. so thats the way they make their world go around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.