8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - forgive for being clueless - but i am really trying to learn here!

My first civic was a 1997 EX! LOVE IT. I gave it to my baby brother when i bought my 2007 SI. I currently have 32K and my maintenance came on saying A 1 2.

When i took it to the dealer (okay - first mistake i know) he said i needed a 30K for just under 500.00. Of course i argue b/c i know that a A 1 2 is an oil change. tire rotation, filter change and cabin filter change? So he tells me that I am at 30K which costs blah blah blah. I of course, peeled out causing the tech to jump back so as to not have his toes a runneth over.

That being said...since i had my 97 for so long, i did not have the maintenance minder, so i checked everything based on mileage. Since my SI has the maintenance minder, do i also need to base it on mileage?

Also - since i am NOT going to pay almost $500 - and have not yet learned how to do things myself - is it okay to take it to say NAPA? OR should i take it to the dealer and just tell them to change the oil and replace the filters?

HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You only need the oil change with oil filter, cabin air filter (if it has not been changed before), engine air filter (if it has not been changed before), and tire rotation (if it's actually needed based on tire tread depth of each tire).

I'd buy the filters from a Honda dealer online (College Hills Honda perhaps) and install them yourself. They are easy.

You can have the dealer do the oil change and rotation if you don't feel like doing it yourself (although if you can, more power to you).

Your warranty cannot be voided if you choose not to have 30k's performed on your car. All you need to do is keep a log of your services performed on your vehicle based on the maintenance minder. That is what your Honda service history booklet is for. Have your dealer fill it out each time you have a maintenance performed on your vehicle (oil changes, tire rotations, coolant change, brake fluid flushes, etc.).

Hope this helps.

I'm not saying 30k's aren't good, but sometimes some dealerships are overpriced, and some of the services may not be necessary at the time (e.g., brake fluid flushes aren't necessary until every 3 years).

I work at a dealership as a tech, so please don't think every dealership is out to rob you. Not all are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome! thanks!!! i called another dealer and they quoted me a completely different price and lower price. Also - i had my cabin filters replaced last year (about 15K ago). at least now i know what is going on and i can make an informed decision. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
awesome! thanks!!! i called another dealer and they quoted me a completely different price and lower price. Also - i had my cabin filters replaced last year (about 15K ago). at least now i know what is going on and i can make an informed decision. Thanks again!!!
I'm glad I could help you out.

By the way, it's possible (at least my dealership) to have a 30k performed and have the labor and parts costs of unnecessary services removed from the repair order. For example, if you don't need the cabin air filter, tell your service adviser to remove the parts cost (the price you pay for the cabin air filter) as well as the labor cost (the price you pay to have it installed) from the repair order. You'll just pay for everything else that was either installed, replaced, or performed. But, word of advice, ask for the total cost of the 30k BEFORE, BEFORE you ask them to remove the unnecessary parts and labor costs. That way you know that they removed them and did not simply adjust prices (you will know this because you can compare the two prices).

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the same code...all the maintenance needed can be done by you. The cabin filter is probably the easiest thing to do also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts