8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually this only happens the first time I take off in the morning, but pops up in the middle of my trip sometimes when accelerating normally.

When accelerating at a slow pace, while getting to the top of second gear, it feels like it's bucking or bouncing a bit before getting into third. Doesn't happen at every take-off and doesn't happen for every slow pace take-off. It doesn't usually happen more than twice in one trip, and I'm hoping someone will say it's normal and it's just how the tranny with the R18's is.

I wish I had a better way to describe it, almost like that feeling your running out of gas, but only happens at the top of 2nd. It has 40k miles on it but has been doing it since 12 miles (brand new). It hasn't gotten worse in 3 years, so I guess if I'm the only one, I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
anyone else notice that sometimes the auto takes way too long to shift into fifth gear? i have been driving at a normal pace and when i get to 60 mph it takes it a good minute or so to shift? i have changed the fluid once already.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
the symptoms you are describing are common for all auto trannies, if i think you're saying what you're saying.

for example, right before the shift between 2nd and 3rd, the rpm will slightly jump and car somewhat jerks a bit? it happens sometimes.

as far as the shift delay, normal too, esp. if going up hill. the computer is compensating to ensure a smooth ride/gear shift.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also, at 40K miles, I would change it.
Planned on that in the coming days; it's sitting on my floor. But, it's not the jerk you get when switching gears; mine has actually never done that. It's just the last few seconds it's in 2nd gear, it just bucks a good 10-15 times or so, pretty subtle. Not a huge deal, I guess I'm just too OCD about my vehicle. Can't wait to see how it shifts after the fluid change.

The shift delay is normal when going up hill or accelerating rapidly. Also, I live in the South, and notice that when it's really cold out (30's-40'sF), it does take a while after a cold start to shift into 5th. I just assumed it's trying to get the motor warm as quickly as possible. My 05 Malibu did the same thing. If it takes a while to get into 5th when it gets to normal temperature, I'd have to get it checked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts