8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if money was no option,what would be better on the engine-a turbo or a supercharger?what is more reliable?what are the other modifications that would have to be done with each?i know this is asking alot but i am not sure which i want and it has to be reliable.i WANT(need) as much power as i can get without blowing up the engine.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
most power - turbo
better lower end - sc
reliability - depends who puts togther, turbos getting better (personal preference - sc)
volumetric efficiency - turbo
safest - sc
supporting mods for either - exhaust, by-pass valves, ems, particular fuel system upgrades, cams, valvetrain, clutch/flywheel, brakes (intakes and headers are different between the 2)

may be more i cant think of

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys, thanks.i would like some more imput from others.what kind of turbo?greddy?i am new to forced induction so i have alot of questions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
turbo options - greddy, ajp, and one other somewhere
most reliable - greddy
safest - greddy
most power - ajp

a little while back when i was still in school, i graphed/mapped the flow rate of the k20z3 engine bone stock to custom do a turbo kit. after cross referencing between turbonetics and garret turbos, the turbonetic 62-1 turbo would be the best option to achieve anywhere from 250-625hp on otherwise stock engine from 5-14psi of boost. (realisticly) so if u wanna custom do one, that is what i have worked out. all u need is ems (ie. kpro, e-manage, etc)

·
Registered
500 Posts
If your new to FI definetly go comptech. Its completely bolt on, its a tried and true company and it's a proven design. It doesnt have the biggest hp gains, but supposedly preorder on a stage II will be available this month and put down 255-265 whp, which with some supporting mods could get you near the 300 whp mark.

I like greddy, but i think there kit is still to problematic for someone new to FI, don't go ajp. Both turbo kits.

Then there is redshift and jackson, both are still in production, redshift is a twin-screw type supercharger. A twin screw is similar to roots type, found in the comptech kit, but is more efficient and compresses the air in the s/c instead of in the intake, which allows it to run cooler. A twin screw and roots are both very good at providing low end power. The jackson will be a centrifugal s/c, wich is similar to a turbo, it is the most effiecient s/c, most reliable, and simpliest. It creates the most power, but is generally peaky, which does not benefit our already peaky engines. Jackson does not have much info available for their kit, but redshift is a sponsor so you should read through there thread.

Like i said, if i were you i would go comptech, it is the only s/c out for the car right now, other than moss which i wouldn't recomend. I myself will be waiting for the release of redshift and see how that all turns out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would i have to get a intercooler for the comptech s/c?or maybe just a different radiator?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I'd personally get the turbo. The supercharger is always gonna be boosting since it's running from the motor and will be forcing air into the motor constantly. With turbo you can stay out of boost which causes your motor no to work as hard. Some people may not know this but you could also get better mileage w/ a turbo and drive it regular (Not boosting/not pounding the gas pedal everytime).

It also depends on you're tune for reliability. With a great tune your motor can last for years. Regular maintenance is required also.

·
Registered
500 Posts
^It's true that you can, but the greddy kit your in full boost about 2800 rpms, so in the city you can stay out of boost, but not on the highway. Plus turbo lag is usually considered a bad thing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
^^ But i agree there are benefits to both, i think you just need to see what you like more, with a good tune and maintanence a turbo or s/c will last a long time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys,thanks.i think i am going to go for the comptech s/c.i have had great luck with them before.this will be a winter project so i will have pics as they come.if anyone else wants to give their thaughts,it would be appreciated.thanks again and when are the rear sway bar brackets going to be done??????????????????

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
7AndrewPD said:
^It's true that you can, but the greddy kit your in full boost about 2800 rpms, so in the city you can stay out of boost, but not on the highway. Plus turbo lag is usually considered a bad thing.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that if you are just cruising the turbo will not be producing any positive pressure at all. No matter at what rpm your engine is, that is why you can get better MPG.

In the case of the supercharger RPMs + PSI are tied together. No matter if your in WOT or no at @ 3,000rpm you will have some positive pressure on your engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts