8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '07 Coupe Si with 4600 miles in thirty-five weeks. I experience these well-documented problems:
  • third gear -- actually not too bad for me but possibly getting worse
  • rev hang -- hate it
  • popping sounds from front suspension -- makes passengers question "what was that?" and makes my mechanical sympathy tingle
  • interior scratches
  • interior noises -- one from the subwoofer and one from the passenger side that vibrates continually
But here are some additional problems I'm experiencing:
  • a "surging" feeling while accelerating with the AC on -- the acceleration is not smooth, it feels like it hesitates and then surges over and over (and I know the AC saps power and the air temperature (hot) leads to less power too, but this is an odd sensation that ceases when I turn the AC off)
  • driver side exterior door handle is not smooth -- it sticks until you pull it harder and then it jerks open, maybe I need to lube it somewhere...
  • ragged sound from AC -- this just started a couple weeks ago, and I can't seem to fix it, basically the AC sounds like there's turbulence, like the air isn't smoothly flowing out
  • body cladding hanging off -- maybe more an issue with the shoddy application by my dealership, but the passenger side "aero kit" piece is hanging off toward the back, interested in options for reattachment
  • fuel economy -- to date, my average fuel economy is 21.35 MPG and my best tank was 23.74 MPG -- can this be completely explained by my 18" wheels and 235/40-18s?
Anyone experiencing these problems as well? Any fixes, ideas, comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here are some possible solutions to your FG/FA problems.

the rev hang - thats just your heavy flywheel, its designed that way, for a shifter smooth.
popping sounds from suspension - since it is a new car the springs may not be settling properly in the top hats, you may want to get that checked out. (my car only has 2k miles front driver side makes the same noise when comign out of driveways)

your fuel economy may be impacted by your wheels. i dont know what kind of rims youre running, but think about it it has a bigger inital rotating mass. it can be also your driving style..

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the third gear issues, and my FA5 is at about the same mileage as you (4800) and I started getting those strange popping noises from the suspension too...mine is on the front drivers side. What about you?

If there is a problem with the suspension, I'm just gonna put my foot down on Honda's neck and make them fix it with the HFP suspension :lildevil:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
theres a TSB on the poppinh sound. take it in an they replace the part.

AC driving just sucks. I think the compressor, or whatever the hell its called, turns on and off if you push the throttle a certian percent while accelerating.

Turn down the sub. It is cheap and made in mexico, therfor it pops when there is too much of a boom.

Rev hang is normal, i like it once i got used to it. By the time i put the car into the next gear the rpms are right where they should be

Side skirt hanging off should be a warrenty issue as well. They need to fix that. I would put screws on the inside part of the wheel-well

Fuel economy is based on how you drive. Look in the owners manual for shifting points. Yes i thought they were high at first, but i still get 28+ almost every tank. I use between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle when normal driving. If nothing else have your computer reset so your car can re-learn your driving habits, maybe that will help fuel economy

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCSi said:
I have the third gear issues, and my FA5 is at about the same mileage as you (4800) and I started getting those strange popping noises from the suspension too...mine is on the front drivers side. What about you?
Driver's side.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anavrin351 said:
theres a TSB on the poppinh sound. take it in an they replace the part.

AC driving just sucks. I think the compressor, or whatever the hell its called, turns on and off if you push the throttle a certian percent while accelerating.

Turn down the sub. It is cheap and made in mexico, therfor it pops when there is too much of a boom.

Rev hang is normal, i like it once i got used to it. By the time i put the car into the next gear the rpms are right where they should be

Side skirt hanging off should be a warrenty issue as well. They need to fix that. I would put screws on the inside part of the wheel-well

Fuel economy is based on how you drive. Look in the owners manual for shifting points. Yes i thought they were high at first, but i still get 28+ almost every tank. I use between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle when normal driving. If nothing else have your computer reset so your car can re-learn your driving habits, maybe that will help fuel economy
I didn't know there was a TSB for the pop, I may think about bringing the car in for that and the side skirt, although it's a pretty big PITA to do so.

The surging/hesitating may be the compressor cycling, but if so it's happening pretty quickly. I mean, my previous car was a Corolla and I never noticed hesitating while driving in heat with the AC, just reduced power. Odd.

I have the sub turned down a little and don't listen to bass-heavy music, but it still creeps in.

I never thought of having the computer reset, that's interesting. I tend to shift the car relatively high (shift points for me: 14, 24, 32, 45, 60) so as to avoid any lugging of the itty bitty engine. I guess I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wow I get 28+ mpg in my SI sedan since day 1. Still havent done my 1st oil change and I pulled 364 out of my last tank.

I shift at 4500 or so in 1-3 then shift about 4k in 4th then go straight to 6th usually.

·
Registered
142 Posts
this may sound stupid.. and may not be the problem, but my passenger side had a rattle too and it was just the seatbelt buckle. :redface:

·
Registered
142 Posts
xxbodkinxx said:
Wow I get 28+ mpg in my SI sedan since day 1. Still havent done my 1st oil change and I pulled 364 out of my last tank.

I shift at 4500 or so in 1-3 then shift about 4k in 4th then go straight to 6th usually.
wow.. i can never get more than like 310 on a tank.. do you have your ac on?

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
the highest I got was 330, when used on a trip, but man suck it up this is a civic not a Porsche. You will notice problems if you are constantly looking for them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nepenthe said:
[*]fuel economy -- to date, my average fuel economy is 21.35 MPG and my best tank was 23.74 MPG -- can this be completely explained by my 18" wheels and 235/40-18s?
[/LIST]
Anyone experiencing these problems as well? Any fixes, ideas, comments? Thanks.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Check this out to see the effect of tire size and odometer. If you change stock size and don't recalibrate then mileage is not the same.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
ok, TSB for the pop.. is there anywhere that says there's a TSB or is it just word of mouth? if so could someone please link me to where it says so i could print it out and take it in to my dealer. i went in yesterday and they said they'd heard nothing about any problems with the suspension.. thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subaru71 said:
this may sound stupid.. and may not be the problem, but my passenger side had a rattle too and it was just the seatbelt buckle. :redface:
Actually that's not bad, and I get that rattle if someone gets out a certain way. But no this is just seemingly in the cieling above the passenger side.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skylinegtr06 said:
the highest I got was 330, when used on a trip, but man suck it up this is a civic not a Porsche. You will notice problems if you are constantly looking for them.
Well yah. It definitely doesn't brake, charge, or turn like a Cayman or anything. But I like what it does for me in all those areas. I'm just speaking of quality-control or unexplained issues.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chrisfrofro said:
ok, TSB for the pop.. is there anywhere that says there's a TSB or is it just word of mouth? if so could someone please link me to where it says so i could print it out and take it in to my dealer. i went in yesterday and they said they'd heard nothing about any problems with the suspension.. thanks
Ditto. Link please?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
if your wheels weight more than your are reducing your WHP, meaning you need to go harder on the gas = worse mileage.

also if your tires are more sticky than the stock tires they will grip better and worse mileage.

also if you shift and try to keep the RPMs of the Si engine low like a 6700RPM car your will be outside of the efficient rev range, you will get worse mileage. switch to shift at 4000-4500.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i only got 1200 mi. and i got the driver wheel poppin sound.
the ac chug is there too.. but im getting used to that.

The tires suck, but thats just tires.. haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts