8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hoping someone could help me diagnose this problem. So recently I got my car back from the dealership, after they had fixed my stripped rocker arm. After driving it back from the shop, I had the A/C on. Half way through my drive it stopped blowing cold air. Ever since then, the car randomly will stop blowing cold air while I’m driving until I turn the car off for a little bit of time. When I go to drive it again, it might stay cold the whole drive, or the whole day continuously. And then another time I’ll be driving and it’ll stop blowing cold air half way through the drive and not turn back on again. Maybe it’s a compressor issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated considering with all these cicadas near me, I can’t drive home from work with the windows open when it’s 90 degrees outside.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Civic LX Sedan
25 Posts
I would first try to refill it with freon, it could be low. If that doesn't work, check for leaks, see if the compressor will freely spin when you spin it with your hand (with car off obviously) if the compressor doesn't move freely and it's locked up. It's done. If it doesn't hold freon, there's a leak. Or worst case scenario, both.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Civic LX Sedan
25 Posts
If you have to check for leaks and don't have the tools to do so, most automotive shops have the ability to do it with dyes/smoke etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to jump the relay and let it run for 15 minutes. If it's cold the whole time, it's most likely the relay which is a cheap $10 replacement.

Next would be check the pressure of the A/C system with a guage, don't just add more refrigerant. Putting too much in is bad too.

Next would be to replace the A/C clutch and Coil.

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is a super common issue with our cars and if you look through the "new" posts right now you will see a ton of other similar posts and they all share your same symptoms of itermittent A/C functionality as we get to the hot parts of the summer. I promise it's not the relay or the system needing recharged, your A/C wouldn't blow cold at any point if those were the cause. This is due to the aging A/C compressor clutch sending a false overheat signal that then disengages the clutch and turns the compressor off. That's why you will have cool air in the morning, but by the heat of mid-day the A/C won't work anymore. I went through this whole process last summer and managed to fix it, so that's how I know.

You have two options. The first is removing shims from the clutch, which you can watch a video about here:
I think this is a temporary solution as it brings the clutch out of spec, but it's cheap and easy.

The other option is replacing the whole clutch and compressor assembly (which is what I elected to do last summer). It took me the better part of a whole day to do, but I was able to rent most of the weird tools from my local autoparts store (like the vacuum pump and the weird pressure regulator thing for filling the system). Refurbished compressors are around $150 on eBay, so the whole project cost me about $200ish dollars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses, I will start with the least expensive fixes and try all those. Worst comes to worst, sounds like replacing the compressor will be the best option

·
Registered
54 Posts
I promise it's not the relay or the system needing recharged, your A/C wouldn't blow cold at any point if those were the cause.
This is not true in regards to the relay. In my experience, relays can go out intermittently and cause an issue like this. Most times they will bug out randomly, then for longer periods of time, then completely die altogether. You should never just arbitrarily replace expensive parts. You should do some level of diagnostics first.

Here's proof:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: nothing really. I think it’s either a leak or needs recharged. I can hand spin the compressor. At low air in the car, the ac runs fine. Once I turn it to max however it soon blows out hot air. I don’t think it is the relay, but not sure. I want to check for leaks that may be the next step. No leaks? Check the pressure. Pressure fine? May just need to be recharged. But I doubt that. 2 years ago this issue happened but ac went out completely. Took it to the shop they said previous owners tried to recharge it themselves, over filled it and caused a leak. Said it was fixed. Worked for two years and now it just intermittently goes out. Not sure what to do but I really don’t think it’s the compressor or clutch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update: nothing really. I think it’s either a leak or needs recharged. I can hand spin the compressor. At low air in the car, the ac runs fine. Once I turn it to max however it soon blows out hot air. I don’t think it is the relay, but not sure. I want to check for leaks that may be the next step. No leaks? Check the pressure. Pressure fine? May just need to be recharged. But I doubt that. 2 years ago this issue happened but ac went out completely. Took it to the shop they said previous owners tried to recharge it themselves, over filled it and caused a leak. Said it was fixed. Worked for two years and now it just intermittently goes out. Not sure what to do but I really don’t think it’s the compressor or clutch.

Relay is only like $10. Certainly worth a try. But relays don't usually directly correlate to how hard you push the A/C system.

After that, I would buy a good diagnostic tool, like the THINKDIAG which will tell you the A/C pressure as you drive as well as the A/C clutch status.

There is also a thermal overload switch in the compressor as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Many times this is the evaporator freezing up, usually due to dirty cloggged, then when you shut it off it thaws out.
When you park does water drip for longer than a couple minutes ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not a relay, or any complicated component. It is the gap between the clutch pack and compressor.
Free fix: (I did this 4 summers ago and still working)...
1) clamp the clutch and compressor together(so the clutch doesn't spin on you)
2) take the 3 or 4 bolts out holding the clutch pack in, and slide it out so you have just that out of the vehicle(you don't have to remove the belt either).
3) Flip it face down so you can see the back of the yolk that sits flush with the compressor.
4) use a permanent marker to cover that half dollar size shaft/shank dead center with the hole in the center.
5) taking your time to be careful and keep everything flat and even, use an angle grinder with a fine-medium sanding disk, and slowly take the metal down till all the marker is evenly ground off, only taking a mm or so off at a time.
6) install in reverse process and check if it stays cold when the engine gets to temp (the clutch gap gets a hair bigger when hot, causing it to not engage eventually after cycling)

If it continues or just doesn't do it till later, you can repeat the process, making sure to take off the littlest amount possible, until it works as it should.

I am 99% sure that will fix your a/c issue, and not a penny spent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts