8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a better tire? Mine '06 Civic LX came through with the standard Goodyear's. They are ok but I'd like a more aggressive tires during the winter. Should I buy snows for it or just a better all season such as the Goodyear Triple Tread? I've heard good things about them. Tire Rack rates them high. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I have tripple treads on one of my cars, but I haven't had them in winter yet. They have about 9k miles on them and no complaints so far. My mpg went up 5miles after putting them on my crv. They are pretty quiet and seem to be pretty decent for highway driving. I know a lot of people are fans of blizzak tires for winter time, and just swap them out in summer. I've also had michelin hydroedge tires on my car for year round, and they worked well. I put about 20k miles on them and went through 2 winters on the 7thgen. They were SOOOOO much better than the stock 7thgen tires. They were great in rain and actually pretty impressive in snow as well. They weren't cheap, but neither are the tripple treds. I like the tread design on the hydroedge tires too.

tire rack had the best price on them when I bought them before.
www.tirerack.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I looked on Tire Rack and searched by size... I thought they had the TripleTred for stock size. I'll have to look again now.

I thought about the Blizzak (heard good things) or possibly the Ice-X or X-Ice. Don't know anything about them though.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
hydroedge reviews
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=HydroEdge

tripple tred reviews
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred

both actually come in OEM sizes, I fat fingered the tire size to 15" instead of 16".

and I lied- I went out and looked again once I saw the pics of the assurance tripple tred. I don't have those, I have the assurance comfortred for all season on the crv. I'll edit my eariler posts now.

blizzak has a good reputation for winter tires. Obviously you'll have to decide if you want to have a dedicated winter tire package, and swap tires by season, or run an all season tire. You can't really compare the tripple treds to the blizzaks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Webby. I'm leaning more towards the winter tire now and swapping them, maybe I'll buy a better set of wheels for summer time and summer tires and use the steel wheels for the winters. With the hills I travel and the amount of snow we are capable of getting, it makes more sense to do it that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blizzacks

I've had Bridgestone Blizzacks on several cars now and they are absolutely amazing - at least compared to the OEM all-season tires. I've always had nice (as in "expensive") aftermarket wheels and performance tires for warm weather, so I really don't want to expose them to the winter weather we have in Indiana anyway. I just buy the Blizzacks from Tire Rack already mounted and balanced - and delivered right to my door - then just switch them out about Thanksgiving time. Then I put my nice wheels back on in the Spring.

The Blizzacks - there are about 3 or 4 different models - have a lot of things the tire guys call "sipes". They're a lot of small cuts in the treads that help grip not only snow, but even ice. So you've got a tire that is the next best thing to studs. My experience is that on city streets and highways they're almost like having 4-wheel drive - they're that good. I'm sure the other brands, like the Michelin Alpin, etc., are all great in bad weather also. I'll just about guarantee that once you have dedicated winter tires you'll never be without them - at least if you have to deal with the kind of winters I do. The way I look at it, if they help keep me out of one accident, or help me get somewhere that I would not be able to go otherwise, they've easily paid for themselves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks leez... I haven't bought anything yet and will probably wait until after Christmas to do so. I will more likely than not go with winter tires and then maybe in the spring I'll buy some better wheels to go with the all seasons for better weather. I think we have close to the same winters as you do here in NY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts