8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am being given a 94 Maxima from a family member. They recently purchased a new vehicle and didn't want to mess with this one. The problem is, the car tends to stall/die while being driven. They have changed the fuel filter and fuel pump. Even something given an acronym that I can't remember but it's something like MDA or other. They ran a diagnostic and said it may be electrical but cannot guarantee what they will do will fix the problem. I know this is not a civic but I would like your help. Thanks!

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
need more info. When does it die? Does it die at stop signs, while costing or what? Does the idle fall down and the car shake a little or does it just shut off without any warning? How many miles, what kind of transmission?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I owned a 93 max just like the one that you are referncing. They are good cars witha solid engine. I am guessing that the repair that was an acronym was the VTC repair. It was a common and expensive problem on the 92-94 Maxima SE.

As for the stalling, I can offer little help without knowing the situation a bit more. I would let the mechanic try to fix it if it doesn't cost too much. If it still doesn't work, then you can move on to another potential problems. I would also go to www.maxima.org and post your question there. Those guys know everything about maximas and may have some idea of what is causing the car to stall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx

they told me it would happen at stops but progressed to while driving. And it would shake before the occurance. thanks again

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
If it is shaking that means some of the cylinders are not firing right, without seeing it happen, it's hard to tell, but if the CVT system was problematic, I would say that could be it. It could be something as simple as plugs and wires though... best to take it to a mech and search a little on maxima websites to get an idea of what it might be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts