8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you tried to reach the site yesterday, you may have had some issues. The dns records were switched, and it takes some internet providers a while for them to update across the net. The site was moved to a new set of servers, and things seem to be running well. I'm sorry for the down time, but as we all know it has been in the works now for some time.

Along with the servers being moved, the site has been transferred into new ownership. Their profile is here:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/members/70436.html
With the move, 8th is now part of a family of websites with autoforums.com. They operate roughly 120+ automotive forums, and other niche topic forums. All sponsorships and server administration will be dealt with on their behalf.

You may be wondering why this has taken place.
This has probably been the hardest transition I've had to deal with, but it has to be done. As many have noticed, I don't post much at all in the general community. Almost all of my time is spent dealing with sales transactions that have gone bad, moderating disagreements between users in pm, emailing, or addressing site sponsorships. The site has seriously taken a major effect on my general health and family. I'm asking that you please understand this, and respect my situation. The staff is aware of some issues, but not even the whole picture. I'd rather not go into further specifics publicly.

So, what happens now that it's under their supervision?
Essentially, nothing will change for the users here. The staff that is in place will still have the ability to stay in their position. Nothing in regards to how we conduct ourselves daily will change. The same rules apply now, that applied over the last 5+yrs. There is no other agenda.

Some may be hesitant to look at this in a positive way, but they have a large amount of resources at their fingertips that I don't have. You should notice a large upgrade in server resources already. The new servers are a large upgrade from where we were a week ago. A lot of people take things like that for granted, and don't understand what kind of work is involved to keep things running smooth. 8th is to the point where the site software has literally been modified to run with the number of search queries and users online. These are issues and situations where I've had to pay third parties to diagnose and implement major site changes. I will no longer be the person involved in that, as they have teams of sysadmins and programmers on their staff. They maintain sites that receive a larger volume of traffic than 8th, so they have the experience to deal with the site growth. 8th had 3 updates to the server hardware in the last year to address greater server load, but it was still not enough. The current server build is honestly capable of scaling ten fold. Users should be recognizing a much improved browsing experience.

Autoforums recognizes 8th for what it has become over the years, and wants to help make things even better. I truly believe that their experience with large communities will help make things run even smoother. If you were to ask most staff members the amount of things that take place behind the scenes, they'd agree that it can be an enormous juggling act. Most users cannot fully understand or appreciate the amount of work that takes place to keep the site running. I am simply asking the users to help with the transition, and keep an open mind. Five years ago, I'd never imagined that I'd be in this position I'm in now. I honestly want the best for the community going forward. If I didn't care about the community, I wouldn't have invested so much time and effort. I hope that users can accept this, and be understanding.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Thanks for the update webby and what ever you do with the site is the best for the site :)
Good luck and thanks :)

·
Administrator
1,259 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself to you, my name is Stew Lawson and I am the Director of Community Management for Autoforums.com and Autoguide.com. I have been poking around little and love the feel of this site. We are glad to be a part of the community!

I would like to commend Kevin for making this announcement. It is never easy for someone to let go of a community they’ve created and Im sure it’s very better sweet for him. I would like to Assure him and the rest of you that we are here as a technical support more than anything. We will not be changing or implementing our own rules or policies, this community has thrived on the direction from Kevin and the rest of the mods so it would be ludicrous for us to change something like that. I just hope he can start to enjoy it and the members once again.

I might have some suggestions here and there to help them along the way so that things run a little smoother from a server perspective but other than that, like I said, we are the technical support.

Kevin covered a lot with his announcement so I don’t want to take anything away from it…. I could give you the long standard boiler plate list of questions and answers but I think allowing you guys to just fire away whatever is on your mind would probably save me from feeding you guys the standard BS :)

Thanks to Kevin for creating such a great site! I hope we can fill that void that he wasn’t able to.

Stew

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you get everything straightened out IRL, Webby.

Two questions (permitting you left this thread open on purpose.)

Does this mean you are stepping down as the top administrator for the site?

Will 8th Civic still support IE6?
I am still setup as an admin. There is no software change as of now - vbulletin should support ie6 without issue.

·
Perry Important Vember
18,773 Posts
childish part:
woah, webby = Kevin

mature part:

webby, I truly hope for the best in your life with your family, friends, acquaintances, and most importantly, your health! you do what you have to do, even though the ocho has been your computer baby for the past 5 years, you'll still have people here who will support you continuously in whatever it is that you do. Most may not understand, but when it comes down to the internet and matters-out-of-their-hands, they don't have an excuse: they can either gtfo or stay and deal with it.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Dont know you personally but thanks Webby for everything you have done. I honestly dont know how i would have gotten through work and some of my classes without this site lol. I cant imagine the endless amount of bs you have had to deal with but its much appreciated. Hope everything works out for you

·
https://goo.gl/h7GssA
20,089 Posts
hope you will be able to get back to breathing and not be baired by all the bs, get healthy above all... yes even the ocho... but we are here for you like you have been for us.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Glad you stepped up to the plate and made a decision, these types of these aren't easy but are what's best.

Welcome Stew!

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Welcome to the family Stew. :bighug:

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
Welcome to the 8th Stew:kisssmiley:

Webby, u created an awesome site, thanks for all your time and effort behind the scenes...... Will u have free time to chat with us now?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts