8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught this on the 7th gen board. Any of you noticed this issue at all?

I probably shouldn't be telling you guys this, but that's not the only problem with the new civics. Since it's no biggy i'll fill you guys in. There is also a "seal bolts oil leaks" recall involved with the 2006. I work for Honda so I get information about all the recalls they have.

CHECK THIS OUT:

Print this iN message and provide a copy to the Shop Foreman and all Technicians.

American Honda has identified two possible areas for engine oil leaks on the 2006 Civic. We are working closely with the manufacturing plants to resolve this issue. If you have a 2006 Civic that has an engine oil leak, below are the two most likely causes.

Front Block Oil Leaks
The majority of all 2006 Civic oil leaks in the market have been from the front 24mm sealing bolt. The oil leak path is easily mistaken for an oil pan gasket or an oil pump leak. The recommended repair procedure is below.

Remove both the sealing bolt and washer – replace with new ones.
Thoroughly clean sealer from the mating surface and the threads in the block.
Oil the entire sealing surface on the block with engine oil. (This allows washer to rotate when torqued and not distort).
Install new washer & sealing bolt.
Torque to 60 +/-5Nm.
Rear Block Oil Leaks

Most leaks from this area have been from the rear 24mm sealing bolt, but we have seen a few that were leaking from the rear main seal. The recommended repair procedure is below.

Remove both the sealing bolt and washer – replace with new ones.
Thoroughly clean sealer from the mating surface and the threads in the block.
Oil the entire sealing surface on the block with engine oil. (This allows the washer to rotate when torqued and not distort).
Install new washer & sealing bolt.
Torque to 60 +/-5Nm
Replace the rear main seal.
Please understand that this issue affects a very small amount of the overall vehicle population, and you should NOT stock up on replacement parts. Additionally, these replacement parts will have a controlled part number, which will require the respective Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to order them.

If you require further assistance with 2006 Civic engine oil leaks, please contact Tech Line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts