8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really thinking of purchasing one. I've been dailying an NA miata for about 4 years now and I like it a lot. However, i'm looking to get something a bit more refined and with 4 doors for the kids.
Anyway I digress. I'm looking to spend less than $10k and i'd strongly prefer the sedan. What should I be careful about? I'm eyeing one thats $7500 right now with 175k on the clock. Should I be concerned? Is the paint shitty or only on some of them? Are these things essentially bullet proof?
Has anyone here gone from RWD lightweight roadsterish to an SI? I had a 2010 wolfsburg edition Jetta before I got the NA miata. It was a cool car, but I feel like it was just a jetta with a GTI engine in it without any of the cool GTI nick-nacs(projectors, nicer interior, better suspension, better looking GTI...) The story goes that there was a fire at a VW plant in Germany so they had a bunch of motors but no cars to put them in so they freighted the motors down to MX and threw them in Jettas and called them "Wolfsburg Editions."
However, the Civic SI seems to be well-engineered by Honda and not just a econocar with a nice motor in it. But it actually has upgraded suspension bits and a few nicer touches as well...or am I wrong?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The 8th gen Si's are great cars! But there are a couple things to look out for.

Yes many of the cars have paint problems. The strange thing is it seems that the Alabaster Silver and Rallye Red don't have the issue. My mothers silver GX didn't have any clear coat problems in the 12 years we had it. The 2006 Si I bought this summer is also silver and doesn't have any paint problems. If its another color its gonna be really hard to find one that doesn't have problems unless it has bee garaged its whole life.

The second big thing to look for is the 2nd gear grind. For the Si I bought it didn't grind on the test drive but after I took it home it ground twice in about 300 miles. Luckly I was able to fix it by replacing the fluid with AMSOIL Syncromesh. So far after another 6000 miles it hasn't ground once.

Now everyone's experience varies but my car only has 85000 miles but it is burning oil. After 5000 miles it burned about 1.5 quarts. It seems to be fairly common and just is something you got to keep up with.

My only real complaint with these cars is the stock tuning. There is some pretty annoying rev hang. These cars also don't like go slow. They can be very jerky in stop and go traffic. Gladly both of those can be mostly fixed by tuning with a Flash Pro or Ktuner.

As for upgrades over a regular civic they do have a few. The biggest one is the k20 motor. 190 crank hp and 8300rpm with VTEC is just awesome. They also are all fitted with an LSD which does work. All Si's also come with the premium audio which gives it a sub. I have to say I am very happy with the sound system. They also all have electric power steering which im not the biggest fan of. It is pretty heavy and there isn't too much feedback. You also get some slight stiffer suspension and slightly bigger brakes. The seats are probably my favorite thing about the Si. They are much sportier with the bolstering but the padding is actually a bit softer and are very comfortable.

Overall these cars are very well put together cars. There are a few things to watch for but overall they are very reliable cars that are fun to drive. Obviously you wont be kicking the tail out in the wet but thats the downside of front wheel drive. There isn't anything on these cars that feels cheap. If you can get over the front wheel drive and likely bad clear coat then I think you will be happy with an Si.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2006 SI coupe two-door which has been a lot of fun almost like a go-kart. Mine was upgraded previously with a supercharger so that makes it even more fun. Normally I understand the K20 is not super torquey but they love to rev and so you get power when you need it and economy when you want it. plus outstanding engineering and the ability to take boost if you later decide to crank up the ponies.
Mine is 2006 habanero red with 147,000 mi but amazingly the paint looks great. In fact there's no rust on the car at all which shocks me.
Now if only I can find a clock spring to fix the radio controls lol

·
Registered
2009 Honda Civic si sedan
1 Posts
I’ve had an 01 s2000. Sold it due a to a two seater wasn’t kid friendly. Probably the best driving experience you can get out of a car. Now I have a 2009 civic si sedan. The best daily driver. Hands down. Mine came with exhaust, intake, short shifter. Overall great car. No problems. Besides having the top the oil off. I’ve suggest you get 09-11 up because of the transmission problems. Honda has had with the earlier year civics. The cmc tend to go bad just have to check for that. And of the course the notorious paint peel. I think with your price range you can find a unmodded 8th gen si. Good luck on your find, if you haven’t find it already.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, I wouldn't be too concerned about your purchase.

Definitely do a valve adjustment and other routine maintenance if a fluid flush hasn't been preformed, etc. Upgrades are relativity cheap too. There's people on here with 300k+ miles on their Si's

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive had my 07 si since 2012 and it has been a great car Ive had it stock since day one. its been my daily. I've always done synthetic oil mobile 1 and I've never had any issue i am at 134k miles right now and I'm actually planning on selling it. all i need to do is change the axles I'm right side was doing a bit off noise recently. the paint had been immaculate on this car til last year i went from working nights to days so the car finally got sun light for 8 long our sometimes 10 and the roof started to lose the clear coat it had been in the garage and nights for almost 8 years. but the sun definitely took its toll on it. im also starting to see it on the trunk a bit. but besides that this car has been amax=zing to me. i just don't use it anymore. maybe 1once or twice a week. you can see some of the peeling on the pictures i posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great 👍!
Same color as mine, red habanero pearl.

By the way I finally got a clock spring to fix my possessed factory radio.
In the past when you turn the wheel it would change from auxiliary to AM to FM and back again. Lol
Strangely enough, getting a clock spring with navigation which my car does not have, is only about 20 bucks if you know where to look.
But getting a clock spring without navigation was about $280!
I took a chance and spent the $20 and did the fix myself.
No regrets, it works fine now! I'm able to use my Bluetooth to pipe auxiliary audio near the cigarette lighter plug and play tunes from my phone without difficulty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts