8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I understand the Si requires premium fuel. Since I'm not a mechanic or have much experience with pinging, I'm making this thread so I can see what other people have experienced. My two questions are:

1) Have you had detonation in a car before? If yes, what car was it?

2) Have you or someone you know had detonation in the 6th gen Si? or previous Si?

3) Why do some cars adjust to lower octane while others don't?

thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SiFan4tic said:
Ok, I understand the Si requires premium fuel. Since I'm not a mechanic or have much experience with pinging, I'm making this thread so I can see what other people have experienced. My two questions are:

1) Have you had detonation in a car before? If yes, what car was it?
yes, detonation destroys rotaries in heart beat. but puts a major hurt on things like ringlands and rods in piston motors.
SiFan4tic said:
2) Have you or someone you know had detonation in the 6th gen Si? or previous Si?
from too much compression and the incorrect octane, pinging and knocking are easily heard.
SiFan4tic said:
3) Why do some cars adjust to lower octane while others don't?
thanks
umm. because they probably have 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression. our car will back off timing as much as it can when a knock is detected. But IMO, pinging is really easy to hear, at low rpms with a decent amt of throttle, pinging sounds like someone poured a bag of marbles into your cylinders. Detonation on the other hand, is more of a hesitation sound and a low knock combined.

Basically, run what you should and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
TRobJunior said:
So what if you used reg & switched to premium?
Taken from this article, I thought it was good (I think it answers what your asking?)http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm...

"The octane rating of a given grade of gasoline is a measure of its detonation resistance. The higher the octane number, the better able the fuel is to resist detonation. Most engines in good condition will run fine on regular grade 87 octane fuel. But engines with high compression ratios (over 9:1), turbochargers, superchargers, or with accumulated carbon deposits in the combustion chamber may require 89 or higher octane fuel."

I think people over exagerate how big of a deal pre detonation (spark knock) is though....you would have to have an EXTREME about of spark knock to cause any damage to an engine...just my opinion...almost every vehicle at my work (about 80 vehicles) has spark knock under a heavy load (up big hill) and none of them have ever had a pre detonation related failure (head gasket etc).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
^Detonation is over-rated?? you must not be a tuner. Detonation kills motors.
-detonation and pinging from low octane WILL ruin combustion components.
-btw, there is no "pre-detonation". its pre-ignition or detonation, both meaning the fuel ignites because of low octane, high heat, high compression, and not from the timed spark.
-pinging in low rpms usually comes from too far advanced timing, or improper fuel grade(87 instead of 93).

·
Registered
619 Posts
TeamValor, thanks for repeating everything in that article I referenced.

Like I said...."you would have to have an EXTREME about of spark knock to cause any damage to an engine...just my opinion"
I'm guessing your tuner makes significantly more hp than a stock civic and is constantly being pushed to the limit. Obviously it would be much easier to have extreme spark knock/pre ignition in your tuner.

My point is...in MY OPINION...lower octane isn't going to kill a stock SI...is it good for it? no. will it run to it's full potential? no.

What I was kinda getting at was I've seen people ask what they should do about the dealer putting 87 in there SI...and in my opinion...a tank of 87 won't "ruin combustion components".

I meant pre-ignition, thanks for correcting me on that, your a saint.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
LOL, tuner as in haltech, hondata, uberdata, crome, aem ecu programmer. not "tuner car". LOL
to the op- use 93 as is recommended by honda.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
funny you talk about compression ratio. because my acura TL has a 11:1 compression ratio and I never had pinging/detonation with regular 87 fuel.

So what gives? my TL adjusts to regular fuel? if the TL does it, why doesn't the Si?

:sadwavy:

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
what hp is your tl rated at?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow going off on the topic. Answer the questions i asked in the original post.

People keep giving me the same answer, without any experience... just because a website said so. Detonation and pinging are not happening in my TL so I was wonderig if anyone had any pinging/detonation in their Si.

Stick to the 3 questions I asked. thanks

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SiFan4tic said:
wow going off on the topic. Answer the questions i asked in the original post.

People keep giving me the same answer, without any experience... just because a website said so. Detonation and pinging are not happening in my TL so I was wonderig if anyone had any pinging/detonation in their Si.

Stick to the 3 questions I asked. thanks
dude. i answered your 3 freakin questions. what do you not understand?!
if you think your TL is magical and escaped the issues, then go with it. i have posted with pure knowledge but it seams like all you wanna hear is, "there is a magical fairy in your motor that turns 87 octane fuel to gold that resistes all combustion issues." there i said it. happy now. if you dont want to take anyones advise, go out and fill your poor si up with 87 and beat on it, then come back and tell us how it goes.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
TeamValorRacing said:
dude. i answered your 3 freakin questions. what do you not understand?!
if you think your TL is magical and escaped the issues, then go with it. i have posted with pure knowledge but it seams like all you wanna hear is, "there is a magical ferry in your motor that turns 87 octane fuel to gold that resistes all combustion issues." there i said it. happy now. if you dont want to take anyones advise, go out and fill your poor si up with 87 and beat on it, then come back and tell us how it goes.
if you had spelled fairy right it would have been even funnier. but none the less its funny.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
skunk 2 should come out with a fairy to put in our motor so we dont have to buy the expensive gas.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
what about chicken grease.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
personally, if i were him, i would just use whatever i can find around the house: ham sammiches, toy cars, dust bunnies, and newspaper fliers.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts