8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not really a fan of the blue headlight look, nor am I that informed when it comes to lighting mods, but don't most OEMs (if not all), use 4300k for their hid apps? From what I've read, 4300 is optimal for light output, and then the output is degraded the further north of that you go.

That being said, is it really worth losing visibility for blue headlights?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i had 8000K on my EG projectors and never got told told by police it was wrong.

just dont buy the cheap 50 dollars ones that glare and blind people. those will get u in trouble.

get a quality name HID kit and you will be fine.

my HID kit was mcculloch which was great

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Any PnP kit is not legal. 6000K and above is just drawing unwanted attention to yourself in terms of the legality or lack there of, of your lights.

10000K @ 55W = 6000K @ 35W.

The higher power draw washes most of the colour out.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
the Nish tells it how it ish... i mean is.

anything above 8000k falls out of the range of human vision anyhow, the spectrum is spread too far into UV the street signes and paint on the road will light up more BUTany surface that doesnt contain reflective glass like the pavement, trees and kids will be twice LESS visable then if you went with 4300-6000k. I have 12000k and ended up getting something more like 10000 and i have much less output then a 6000k bulb, same as stock But not worth the 120 i paid, but dont flame, it was a accident, i ment to bid on the 6000k action and got stuck with them.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
i got 8000k its quite blue... if its ur first set of hid's thats prob wat u will get .. tahts wat i did... but i rahter go for 4300k or 6000k now
8000 k seems shitty in rain and can easily be covered by other ppl's headlights .. especially on dark gravel areas...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Heres my 2 cent :)

i think anything above 6k is ricey, only sometimes do they look nice on high end cars, Mercedes, BMW, TL, TSX, ECT.
but if you want 8k for show then go ahead, there still brighter than halogens but like everyone says, its a cop magnet.
6k and lower is good, 6k has a little bit of blue from far away but is still nice. 5300k is pure white and also more power than the 6k because the lumins. 4300 is white/oem color but will light up the block
heres a temp for yah,
3000k - golden yellow
4300k - OEM
5000k - White
6000k - white/blue hint
8000k - iceburg blue
10000k - pure blue/fading to purple

hopes this helps you

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
my "supposed" 12000's are the same coulour as most ppls DDM tuning 6000's some ppls 8000's are blue-er then my "supposed" 12000's

its just a Number they throw out there...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Heres my 2 cent :)

i think anything above 6k is ricey, only sometimes do they look nice on high end cars, Mercedes, BMW, TL, TSX, ECT.
but if you want 8k for show then go ahead, there still brighter than halogens but like everyone says, its a cop magnet.
6k and lower is good, 6k has a little bit of blue from far away but is still nice. 5300k is pure white and also more power than the 6k because the lumins. 4300 is white/oem color but will light up the block
heres a temp for yah,
3000k - golden yellow
4300k - OEM
5000k - White
6000k - white/blue hint
8000k - iceburg blue
10000k - pure blue/fading to purple

hopes this helps you
All cars in bold use projectors. The bluish tinge you see is from the dispersion of light. As the poster above said, OEM = 4300K because it produces the most light output (lumens). That is also pure white and closest to the sun's natural light. As we all know from grade 8 science class, white light contains all colours.

Projectors break that colour up, like a prism when the beam is shot through the cut-off shield and lens, refracting the light to that bluish colour you see on the road.

But since the light is still 4300K in intensity, you get the best of both worlds: blue colour flicker with maximum light output.

Bart is absolutely right: going more blue looks dumb, and does you no good for night driving. It will seem awesome for about a week...and then you will want to return it cause you can't see squat and the girls beside you at the stop light are laughing at how stupid your car looks compared to their neon running normal halogens.

/rant

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
All cars in bold use projectors. The bluish tinge you see is from the dispersion of light. As the poster above said, OEM = 4300K because it produces the most light output (lumens). That is also pure white and closest to the sun's natural light. As we all know from grade 8 science class, white light contains all colours.

Projectors break that colour up, like a prism when the beam is shot through the cut-off shield and lens, refracting the light to that bluish colour you see on the road.

But since the light is still 4300K in intensity, you get the best of both worlds: blue colour flicker with maximum light output.

Bart is absolutely right: going more blue looks dumb, and does you no good for night driving. It will seem awesome for about a week...and then you will want to return it cause you can't see squat and the girls beside you at the stop light are laughing at how stupid your car looks compared to their neon running normal halogens.

/rant
thanks for callin me Bart:dance:

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
thats what i said too, about the pavement not lighting up and not being able to see kids.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
anything that gives the police a reason to pull you over should be considered rice.
like being lowered on $2000+ advan's with a full mugen kit for example???
:shadycorn:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.