8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 938 Posts

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Damn I think I'm in love.. I need a navi and I thought I'd have to spend 1k+ to get a navi like that. The only thing I dont' like is that it's not an in-dash..

Quick question (actually, two).

1) What does the install look like for getting this in the car?

2) Since it's not an in-dash.. how does it go through your speakers? Or does it just have small speakers on it that it plays music from/speaks from? Kinda confused, unless maybe it goes through the aux ports on the car?

Actually I have more to add. I googled the hell out of this thing and there is like nothing on it? Is this thing extremely new? Normally I can find reviews out the ass on anything, and all I see is the same "this thing is huge" on all 4 pages that I found. Also.. where did you buy this? Cheapest I'm seeing is a bit over $500.

Thanks for any help ;)

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's NEW NEW... I did the same, Googled the heck out of it, found absolutley nothing on it. There are a few places around that sell it here, but no one had a demo unit out to look at even. I called Coolnavi usa, talked with Dave, really kewl guy, and he gave me the addy to the Canadian distributor, I called them, arranged a meet, they obliged, gave me an indepth look, drove me around in a van they had it installed, I was impressed, So I bought it, and now we have the Exclusive ! *grins*

It rocks, in the mini van we placed it on the floor too and it worked flawlessly!
I was like a kid in a candy store.

It uses a suction mount to the windshield. I tucked it into the front left corner of the dash, so it's pretty neat. I run a line from the headphone jack to the aux , since I listen to mp3's 99.9% of the time anyways, I play them from the unit, and the voice is layered on top of the music. (very nice)

It does have an FM transmitter built in , and three possible frequencies it transmits on at the same time, I just haven't taken the time to find the range of frequencies that best works for our vehicles.

Here is a shot from the outside,

^ You will notice the suction cup mount looks like it isn't installed properly, I actually didn't lock it in place with the lever on teh bottom of the mount, it's stuck there good without lockign it.. it takes a bit to pry off the windshield where it is... nice hold!

Here is a shot of one of the two speakers on the unit...

*the top wire you see is the earphone, the lower one is the power, I need to buy a right angle plug for this to make it look a little neater. It's the first day I have it , so it was just quickly installed*

The wires run behind the unit, along the side, into the side of the dash, under the and around the steering coloumn and into the power jack and aux jack, very neatly.

I Vtec said:
Damn I think I'm in love.. I need a navi and I thought I'd have to spend 1k+ to get a navi like that. The only thing I dont' like is that it's not an in-dash..

Quick question (actually, two).

1) What does the install look like for getting this in the car?

2) Since it's not an in-dash.. how does it go through your speakers? Or does it just have small speakers on it that it plays music from/speaks from? Kinda confused, unless maybe it goes through the aux ports on the car?

Actually I have more to add. I googled the hell out of this thing and there is like nothing on it? Is this thing extremely new? Normally I can find reviews out the ass on anything, and all I see is the same "this thing is huge" on all 4 pages that I found. Also.. where did you buy this? Cheapest I'm seeing is a bit over $500.

Thanks for any help ;)

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
RJJensen said:
this looks amazin...does it have an OS interface...i mean can u get to windows
It boots it's own startup , so it goes right into Navmate...

I still need to hook it up to the laptop with Active sync to see the directory structure and see what files can be accessed and changed.

You can make your own custom 'destop' for Navmate... *shot coming soon*

It's Windows CE, so I am thinking it should all be there... if not, I do have an install cd for it, and when I get some time, play with it.

It has screen calibration, and it's the windows ce one... I was like.. crap, how do I press esc?

If it is possible to access, you know how kewl that would be?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Cr8tive_leo said:
It boots it's own startup , so it goes right into Navmate...

I still need to hook it up to the laptop with Active sync to see the directory structure and see what files can be accessed and changed.

You can make your own custom 'destop' for Navmate... *shot coming soon*

It's Windows CE, so I am thinking it should all be there... if not, I do have an install cd for it, and when I get some time, play with it.

It has screen calibration, and it's the windows ce one... I was like.. crap, how do I press esc?

If it is possible to access, you know how kewl that would be?
yes i no how cool that would be....please tell me that u can and ill buy one of these immed...hey perhaps u could become a distributor for coolnavi on 8thcivic and get us discounts...what do u think of that idea?

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply.

Two more questions if you're feeling generous :p

1) How difficult do you think this would be to mount down near the shifter?

2) Would it be possible if I brought it to a shop to have them wire the sound-output into my radio harness so that the sound came through my speakers? I'm not really a fan of having it come through the most-probably cheap speakers on it and I'm a little unsure of the FM option.

Thanks again for the reply. I sooo wish this was an in-dash navi, but probably the best portable navi I've ever seen for that price.

Oops ignore the second question. I see you have a wire running into the aux port, so I guess all the sound comes out of the speakers? That works for me.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
RJJensen said:
yes i no how cool that would be....please tell me that u can and ill buy one of these immed...hey perhaps u could become a distributor for coolnavi on 8thcivic and get us discounts...what do u think of that idea?
Okay, will do, woo, hacking a day old Navi system, and I know my warranty will be void now.. wee heee...

I've asked, we'll see about that, if not, I am calling the guy I got mine off of and see what kind of price I could get for buying them (I am sure I can get it for what I paid for, but then I'd have to charge shipping on top of it, no idea on how much that would be)

Hey, the worst thing they could say is no, never hurts to ask, I think there are at least 5 members right now that want one.. and if there was a group buy arranged with Webby's blessing, then I am sure we may get a few more.

We'll see. it's an idea, and something that is being persued. There are other angles too. If there is enough interest for a case or two, then maybe we can get a supplier like BE to purchase from the Canadian Distributor and resell to us. Ideas ideas... :)

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1 - It sits there nicely, you could modify the mounting plate to sit in the 'cubby' and hold the unit down there. it almost fits into the area where the lighter/aux socket is, if the lighter wasn't there, it would almost be perfect.

2 - That's how I have it. I don't use the FM option, the speakers are okay, but through the cabin speakers kicks ass! NHBPrudy heard and saw the unit, he said it sounds like the stock Navi in his TypeS. (wooo)

I'll be posting other pics as days go on with interface, etc.

I Vtec said:
Awesome thanks for the reply.

Two more questions if you're feeling generous :p

1) How difficult do you think this would be to mount down near the shifter?

2) Would it be possible if I brought it to a shop to have them wire the sound-output into my radio harness so that the sound came through my speakers? I'm not really a fan of having it come through the most-probably cheap speakers on it and I'm a little unsure of the FM option. I didn't ignore it.. hee hee.. answered it , since others may still ask it.

Thanks again for the reply. I sooo wish this was an in-dash navi, but probably the best portable navi I've ever seen for that price.

Oops ignore the second question. I see you have a wire running into the aux port, so I guess all the sound comes out of the speakers? That works for me.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Hey thanks much for the replies. I'm seriously looking into this - I wish I could just try one hehe, see how I could mount it. The best would be if I could mod it into the navi unit but somehow that wouldn't work. I want a place that would be visible for me, and for the passenger to watch vids and whatnot while not having it sitting in the middle of my windshield. Thanks for the replies, though.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Np. I like this Navi, 7" screen can't be beat, the price is right, TWO video inputs.. Remote too.. pip... movie playback..man... it's a sweet little unit.

Just think, camera mount in car, video cam on mount, take video from teh cam to one of the inputs, now you can see what you are taping infront of you while you drive, so you know what you're getting is good. (in frame and what not)

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Yeah that's what it looks like.. for what you're getting, that price seems unbelievable. I was expecting to pay 800+ for something with those features. I just don't want it to look bad when I put it in the car. Your spot is pretty good, but then I'd just have people bitching all the time about it being too far away for a movie or something. Damn I wish I just wasn't cheap and I could throw down 2g's on an in-dash :p

Do you think there would be any chance of modding the navi faceplate to fit this in it? That would be my end-all solution. Just doesn't seem feasible though, since the screen is pretty big.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got the Navi, so give me a few days or a week to try everything out *grins*

The dimensions look like they may fit a double din faceplate, but don't quote me on that. If you do mount it, you'll loose access to the CF slot (which is no loss only has map data on it) and the SD slot, again, there are two usb ports, one host and one device on the other side. I will try out a card reader in teh usb slot, if not, you could always mount a usb port somewhere and run a usb extension cable to plug in a usb key for all your data.

It's a very versitile unit.. I was worried that I would be stuck with a new unit that had almost everything, but it was a good investment.

21 - 40 of 938 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.