8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shifting from 5th to 6th, do you pull straight down and sorta let the shiter drop into 6th gear? or do you need to sorta push to the right and then pull it into 6th?

Im asking because I was passing a guy in 5th, I noticed that when I went to put it back into 6th gear I went into 4th gear instead (high rev for a second but I pushed in the clutch as soon as I noticed I was in the wronig gear). I would think that a slight pull straight down from 5th would engage it into the right gear (6th).

Your thoughts on how you shift from 5th to 6th, do you lightly pull straight down or do you push to the right and then lightly pull it into 6th?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i push slightly to the right while shifting from 5th to 6th. the shifter is gonna naturally go back to the middle so just pulling down with no force to the right will lead it directly to 4th ( like what happened to you)

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
push it right down. when your car gets going over 9mph it automatically locks out reverse.
No, what he is talking about is the shifters balance. The shifter will always go back to the middle, aka 3rd/4th.

What I do for 5th and 6th is place my hand, upside down, palm out, on the inner side the shifter, with my thumb wrapped around.

Makes it go right into gear.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No, what he is talking about is the shifters balance. The shifter will always go back to the middle, aka 3rd/4th.

What I do for 5th and 6th is place my hand, upside down, palm out, on the inner side the shifter, with my thumb wrapped around.

Makes it go right into gear.
Hes afraid hes gonna shift into reverse instead of 6th so he doesnt want to push right to far. But you can push right to far going over 9mph so push right and down and it will go right into 6th.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Since I've only ever driven 5 speeds, when I first got my Si, I also thought I was going to put it in reveres instead of 6.

Once you realize that there is a reverse lockout and get used to the 6 speed, it all comes pretty natural.

I go down and push towards the right!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did that when I first had the car too! but yes like some people have said. The car will not go into reverse if you are going that fast. It is a safety feature.

I drove my friends mr2 the other day and I almost shifted into reverse on the hwy because I forgot it was a 5 speed. I realized there was no 6th gear in the last second.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I did that when I first had the car too! but yes like some people have said. The car will not go into reverse if you are going that fast. It is a safety feature.

I drove my friends mr2 the other day and I almost shifted into reverse on the hwy because I forgot it was a 5 speed. I realized there was no 6th gear in the last second.
every car that I have ever driven that has rev below 5th has a lock out of

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I got a funny question, does anyone know if there is vtec in 6th gear? if so, has anyone hit it and made it over the 205kms mark?
you can hit vtec in 6th but only if ur running flashpro ... straight out of the factory the car is speed limited to just under 6k rpm in 6th so vtec wont engage in 6th ... with flashpro you can disable the speed limiter

·
Registered
46 Posts
5 Speeds have reverse lockout too and have for quite some time (at least every one I've owned has). Keeps you from going into reverse when slamming into 4th from 5th.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts