8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2008 civic si. I was doing some research on oils and trying to figure out what oil I should use when I get my oil changed soon and noticed that everyone is using 5w-30 oil. I’m like that’s weird, why are they using oil that isn’t the recommended viscosity for our cars? I had my oil changed last time at the Honda dealership and they changed it with 5w-20 and also my oil cap on my car says 5w-20. I looked online and found an owners manual pdf on Honda’s website and it says the 2008 civic regular models take 5w-20 and that the si takes 5w-30. Why does my oil cap say 5w-20??? I’ve been using the wrong oil this entire time??? Has it caused unnecessary wear to my motor? At this point I’m pretty pissed off as to why my car has a 5w-20 oil cap and I’ve been mislead this entire time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Insane how dead this forum is. I’m a member on the 10th gen forum even though I don’t have a 10th gen civic and have been posting my questions there because whenever I visit this forum it’s super dead and nobody ever posts. Looks like I’ll go back to the 10th gen forums and continue posting there. Should’ve known not to make an account here since nobody visits this forum anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda dealer has oil chart. R18 says 5w-20 but recommend 0w-20. Si says 5w-30 for K20 and 5w-20 for K24. Honestly some use 40weight oil to prevent oil burning so ??? Oil principles are universal you need good flow on startup and good lubrication to prevent metal on metal contact. The 5w-20 oil cap could have been purchased by P.O. I was going to buy a one 0w-20 cap for mine. Either way you need full syn oil for our modern engines

1 - 3 of 3 Posts