8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· ID10T
445 Posts
If my truck lasted that long it would go through 36 transmissions according to the current pace it is setting. I'm guessing it would need at least 3 engines over this time period. It would use over 1000 qts. of oil if I continued to change it between 4-5k miles. I assume it will burn some over 150k. I'd burn about 34,000 gallons of fuel at a cost of $85,000, if gas remained at a constant $2.50/gal. That is if I drive all highway miles (18 mpg). I figure it will take 29 years for me to hit 600,000.

· Acorns!
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^ LOL so great. I actually did something similar yesterday. I saw a used tacoma 2002 with 207k miles on it!!!! Basically the car could have been bought RIGHT at the beginning of 02 - making it a 4 year old car. That would equate to like 1k miles every week non stop for 4 years, or 150 miles a day non stop for 4 years.

Another way to look at it - almost 100 trips driving from Ohio To California in 4 years!

Totally insane.

by the way - good luck with the 36 transmission changes!!

Think of it this way, you'll be almost 60 years old in 2034 driving around a 2002 truck with 600k miles on it.

· Acorns!
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the rate I'm driving my civic - 10k a year - It would take me about 60 years to hit 600k on my civic. I'd be pushing 90 years old driving a 2002 civic with 600k miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

· ID10T
445 Posts
We should convince Honda to give us a Civic and let us see how many miles we can put on it. Make it a community car that anyone can use as long as they are going to be driving it constantly and keeping an accurate mileage log, maintenance record, etc. We can have a big party when it hits 1,000,000 miles!

· Acorns!
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iwu said:
I've known a couple people with million mile vehicles. Old classics that were taken care of but not show room BS.
I take it you mean - the body lasted that long? I honestly wonder what the record is for the highest mileage gas engine. The one civic I saw that had 350k was the original motor and the ORIGINAL CLUTCH!!!!!!

Shemmy - That would be so sweet to get one.

· Registered
166 Posts
:eek:mg: Original clutch???!!!! Did that person even use the pedal?!!
My '97 CR_V is just a baby by these standards, all I've done is a new radiator and timing belt so far in 190,000 miles....HUH guess that job is coming up again soon :gaygiggle

· Registered
106 Posts
webby said:
an original engine and tranny that went 1 million miles? Please give me more info about it.
Well I don't have specifics but here is what a quick search turns up for a diesel: http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/million_mile.html

Mobil 1 test: http://www.mr2.com/ARTICLE/Mobil1.html

regular guy that they made a big hoopla about: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2001/08/29/028398.html

My uncle's friend had an old chevy and I remember as a kid talking to him about his million miles, he was a delivery man

· Registered
106 Posts
My friend drove a 94 Tercel for 120k without an oil change or any maintenance whatsoever, he nearly ran it dry of oil on a regular basis. I purchased it for $500 and did all that and flushed the radiator and engine which was mostly rust and checked it out real good. It ran for 30k more miles then the rust finally got the best of it on the inside and it blew up on the highway on a hot day.

So many things are about luck, all you can do is hope that your proper maintenance pays off. Who knows, an engine that can go 120k without a single issue on no oil changes could have maybe gone for a million miles on 8k mile changes.

· Registered
17 Posts
I know this thread is mostly about "foreign" cars (even though most of them are assembled in the U.S.), but when I sold my '95 Saturn (a GM product, no less!) 4 years ago to my other half's daughter, it had 130K on it. She still drives it today, and it's got over 160K on it. Proper maintenance does pay off! :thumb:

· Registered
8,452 Posts
My x husband owns A large A/C company in fort lauderdale, he had a toyota with 300,000 miles and sold it to a guy he new in Costa rica.....the guy still drives it it has almost 400 miles........

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.