8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car from my friend several months ago. He had lost control in the rain and slid into a street sign, smashing the driver's side door, window, some frame denting, and also deploying the seat and curtain airbags. Also, I didn't learn until I got the car home and had already paid him- the damn ac didn't work. Oh, and 180000 miles.

I WISH I HADNT BOUGHT THE CAR!
it was a rough start for sure.

I've replaced the door and driver's seat, and done an absolute ton of cleaning, and now the car looks 100% less janky. I had some assistance with a mechanic friend, too, so that's been a huge help. He knows the good parts yards and such. Both front brakes had to get new rotors and pads. We did a fairly successful recharge for the ac yesterday. Not a complete win, because the refrigerant can emptied at around 30psi. I picked up another while I was out later, and got it up to 40psi. I thought i'd take the car for a spin and make sure the ac was good. as soon as I touched the gas, a bunch of freon shot out from the front of the engine, and also the ac compressor was kicking on and off frequently.

Ever since first laying hands on this bike, i've had a mantra of "FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR CIVIC!"
The first time I actually took it out for a drive, the check engine light came on as I was nearing home. FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR CIVIC!

This car isn't for me. I'm working on it for my oldest. She's 16, and we're slowly working on getting her legal to drive. I'm hoping to get her car finished soon though.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Cloud Sky
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually not very bad. Some of the bottom of the driver's side door frame is deformed a little, but totally repairable. No hard creases and no actual damage to the frame. It's definitely a POS, but it's cheap and will hopefully be reliable 馃槀馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still tempted to throw some suspension upgrades in the cart whenever I get on eBay. My friend that's helping me with it does body work, and I'm kind of thinking of doing a full spray paint job on it. The door we got to replace it is the darker gray, and also the entire left side has bad paint damage from the sun. I figure rather than try and color match the whole left side and door, it might be more fun to just sand down the car, prep it, and do something stupid like rhinoliner the whole thing 馃槀馃槀馃槀

1 - 3 of 3 Posts