8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this such a dilema.... I am hoping to be able to get a civic come the first of next year. My dilema is .... 5 speed or auto .. and yes, i am a girl who can actually "drive" a manual. I have been driving my parents CRV for awhile and its an auto. My civic is a 5speed .. and I miss driving a stick. I miss the "driving" experience. However, Honda decided that the automatic gets a few extra miles to the gallon ??? WHy ?? So im contemplating an auto for mileage and ease,but Im afraid Ill really miss driving :eek: :eek:

So, what would YOU pick if you were buying ?? and why?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
stick!
i wanna go buuuuuuuurr chik chik buuuuuurrrrr chik chik buuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur chik chik buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrr

ok ok
no...
but ill pick a 5 speed(stick) cus its more funny

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats cute ... hehehe :D

Dont get me wrong, I love the CRV. In fact I was going to get one, but I really need better gas mileage for my daily driver. The CRV does get good mileage, but not waht I am used to. and with gas prices this damn high, I need mileage!!!

I love 5 speed, but sometimes the thought of multi-tasking comes to mind. It was always difficult to talk on phone, shift and turn corners all at one time. They say its best to keep "both" hands on the wheel at all times, or atleast one. :eek:

and then the thought of tuning the car ... I really dislike automatics that have aftermarket exhausts .... to me its just silly sounds silly too. Unless its a truck, or maybe a mustang.

Everyone should learn to drive a stick .. it should be a requirement. No more .... I dont know how to drive stick. how lame.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just did a quick calculation - the difference in mpg doesn't make up for the extra cost unless you keep the car for several years (or drive a whoooooole bunch).

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would say stick...however i am in an area where there is a huge amount of 5 o clock traffic and a lot of stop and go on the interstate every single day..so an auto is a lot easier for me....but im still going for the SI heh

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your replies ...

I always thought a manual tranny got better gas mileage though. How Honda does it .... ??

They have the autos getting better mileage.

I saw a truck load of civics today ... :) made my day.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
I drive a manual Civic now, and I love it. But, it is hell trying to get through rush hour traffic. I'm still torn on the idea myself. I think I'm probably going to get an automatic though, simply for the ease. I'll be messing with the Navigation system too much as it is!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im glad im not the only one who is indecisive between a manual and auto.

I try to convince myself im not lazy and I dont need an auto. but the convience is tempting.

at least you will not be lost during rush hour traffic. lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I drive a auto now and I hate it. The thing with auto is it chooses when to shift and it wastes a lot of time. Most of the time it choose the wrong gear for accelaration. For instance when I floor it at 60 mph it will dowshift from 4th to 3rd and the rpms will go up and then around 4k it shifts back to 4th which slows the car down. It sees that it slows the car down and shifts back to 3rd and keeps going. See where I am going with this?????

With a manual I downshift and it will stay in that gear.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
I see exactly what you're saying. I guess it just depends on if you want performance or ease of mind. If I was to get a coupe (or an Si, of course), I'd get a manual transmission, but since I really don't care about performance all that much, I'll probably stick with the auto.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CameronJr9 said:
I see exactly what you're saying. I guess it just depends on if you want performance or ease of mind. If I was to get a coupe (or an Si, of course), I'd get a manual transmission, but since I really don't care about performance all that much, I'll probably stick with the auto.
I'm not looking for performance. If I was looking for performance i'd buy another car. I just want to be in control more. Also where the transmission shifts makes a difference on fuel economy. I don't believe those sticker numbers they are always off. I know for a fact the manual would get better numbers on the street for sure, but the auto will get better numbers on the freeway since it's gear ratio is a lot lower.

I drive mostly on the street and sometimes hackling with the manual in traffic will be annoying but at least i'll have the control.

·
Registered
204 Posts
get the manual. Hondas have the smoothest manual tranny i have ever driven. My toyota tranny is strong but notchy so I kinda wish it was auto but I love the butter smooth honda trannies

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YOU must be from the ATL ... nice. Down south .... we ride CAT's ...

well, I dont, cuz I dont stay in the SAV, but others do .... :D

---

Honda's tranny is nice. I almost said its all I have ever drove, but I remember my parents had an Explorer sport .... manual. That drove like ****. and then I had a sunbird .. which I enjoyed. But still nothing compares to a Honda.

Im just torn. Convience vs. Experience.

·
Registered
241 Posts
5 speed enough said, but your right about the cell phone thing yea it sucks to talk on it then shift and steer at the same time, but i miss my manual to much , autos are convenient but i would give anything for my manual back

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
true ...

Window Tint is a must. Georgia sun is murder. Tint laws suck. I want to get 20% all around and maybe 5% on the rear window. But 5 might be too dark ... what you think ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts