8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I think all Si's have that noise. Mine does, and it's practically brand new still. I wouldn't worry about it.

What maintenance you should perform at 40k miles is based on what maintenance you've already had done in the past.

Have you been routinely performing oil changes and tire rotations? Are your tires wearing evenly across their treads (if not, alignment may be necessary)? Your car sould be three years old, or at least close to it. The owner's manual says that your brake fluid should be flushed every 3 years.

At 40k miles, your brake pads should be near their service limit, depending on driving habits. Some wear faster, some slower. Inspect the wear on your inner and outer brake pads, on the front and the rear.

Belts on Hondas last at least 80k miles.

Have you been observing the maintenance codes on your maintenance minder? Has it informed you that your coolant needs to be changed? Have you changed the MTF? Cabin air filter? You should be at the end of the life of a second engine air filter by now (they are normally changed every 20k miles, give or take).

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
I'm at 50,000 and I just adjusted my valves. had some loose intakes and some tight exhausts. I highly recommend you check them. They were ticking pretty bad too.

The MTF was another one, I changed it out at about 45,000 with royal purple syncrotech MTF and my third gear got better. The cabin filter is another great one, I got a puralator at Advanced for $14.00. My brakes and clutch are holding up good, but I could use some fresh fluid.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
how do you check your valves? does it involve taking a lot of things apart? can i trust the dealership to adjust them? i don't trust places to adjust things perfectly (for performance), i think they will often just do a quick look and see they are "fine".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 50,000 and I just adjusted my valves. had some loose intakes and some tight exhausts. I highly recommend you check them. They were ticking pretty bad too.

The MTF was another one, I changed it out at about 45,000 with royal purple syncrotech MTF and my third gear got better. The cabin filter is another great one, I got a puralator at Advanced for $14.00. My brakes and clutch are holding up good, but I could use some fresh fluid.
adjusted my valves?? :readtherules:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
No, you probably couldn't trust most dealerships or independent shops to inspect and adjust your valves.

The engine has to be cold. Meaning, valve clearance measurements cannot even begin until the engine is below a certain temperature (heat causes metal expensaion which distorts the actual valve clearance measurements). So, you shouldn't even expect to get your car back the same day. It would be the next day unless there is no other work in the shop or the tech cools the engine off by some external means (a fan).

If you read the owner's manual which explains the maintenance codes on the maintenance minder system, it says that valves should be adjusted whenever they are noisy, regardless of mileage (a noisy valve indicates excessive valve clearance).

Anyway, if you really want to know that a dealership inspected your valves, ask them to note the clearance on every valve on paper. Of course, they could fudge it, but what other option do you really have?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow 3 year olds and at 40 k... my car is one year old in June and ill be roughly at 30k miles
im in college commute and its less than >2 miles
work and its less than >1 mile
i bought it january first with 37k and put about 800 a month.
in the summer it will be less miles per month cause i will ride a pedal bike to work.:wheee:
and i prolley should get my valves checked....and after you have the measurements what do you do??

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
and i prolley should get my valves checked....and after you have the measurements what do you do??
If a measurement is not within spec according to the service manual (exhaust and intake valves have different clearances), then you adjust the valves.

Step 1: Valve clearance inspection/ measurement
Step 2: Valve clearance adjustment (if necessary)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
No, you probably couldn't trust most dealerships or independent shops to inspect and adjust your valves.

The engine has to be cold. Meaning, valve clearance measurements cannot even begin until the engine is below a certain temperature (heat causes metal expensaion which distorts the actual valve clearance measurements). So, you shouldn't even expect to get your car back the same day. It would be the next day unless there is no other work in the shop or the tech cools the engine off by some external means (a fan).

If you read the owner's manual which explains the maintenance codes on the maintenance minder system, it says that valves should be adjusted whenever they are noisy, regardless of mileage (a noisy valve indicates excessive valve clearance).

Anyway, if you really want to know that a dealership inspected your valves, ask them to note the clearance on every valve on paper. Of course, they could fudge it, but what other option do you really have?
what does a noisy valve sound like? i mean it's just a little plug thing to let fuel in or exhaust out, how noisy could it be?

wow 3 year olds and at 40 k... my car is one year old in June and ill be roughly at 30k miles
you act as if you're the normal one and that guy is weird. (not meant to be affronting.) the national average is 12k miles a year. my rate is nearly half that, but yours is more than double. where do you work? must be far.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
no im not saying its weird.. im saying must be nice.. I miss those days of living close to work. I live in orange county NY.. I work in Paramus NJ its a 50 mile trip one way.. 100 mile round trip. It totally sucks... I hate putting the miles on my car.. BUT thats why i bought the si to put new miles on it and have it be reliable.. warrenty and all :)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
what does a noisy valve sound like? i mean it's just a little plug thing to let fuel in or exhaust out, how noisy could it be?
A tech one time had adjusted valves on a B20 with too much clearance. Upon starting the engine, it sounded like a diesel. Now, that's an extreme, but any trained technician knows what excessive valve clearance noise is. I can't explain it to laymen because it's something you have to hear, and then you will probably never forget it. That's just how it is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My car is getting there too, my main question is spark plugs. Iridium spark plugs it calls for. My old neighbor works for Honda and told me to use standard ngk plugs in my older hondas, Should I use a standard ngk for mine now? I dont feel to spend 15.00 a plug for a fancy name.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
My car is getting there too, my main question is spark plugs. Iridium spark plugs it calls for. My old neighbor works for Honda and told me to use standard ngk plugs in my older hondas, Should I use a standard ngk for mine now? I dont feel to spend 15.00 a plug for a fancy name.
No. They last longer than platinum and produce a hotter, more efficient spark. Copper plugs, which don't last that long at all, are going to be the standard plug.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.