8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and i'm at 20% oil life. i feel like my little wrench should be saying hello any day now. is this about average for the first oil change? for some reason i thought i'd get more miles before the light came on.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Shouldnt you be chaning your oil every 3000 miles? Plus I made my first oil change at 1500 just because I know the dealer uses cheap oil to save cost

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
mine came at around 4500 ^^^^^ hes from the 90s (getting oil change done for his mental satisfaction)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what i read the 3000 mile rule is outdated. i prefer going by the tool honda developed to go along with the engine they built. plus the car comes with break in oil that should not be changed out too early. actually when i bought the car, the salesman said the first oil change should be at 7500 regardless. i'm going to do it when the light comes on though.

i don't want to get off topic though, just wanted to see if 4000 for the light to come on the first time is about average. i don't feel like i drive too hard. i'll vtec a couple times a day, but really i don't consider that driving it hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My service indicator just came on tonight and it has been approximately 4000 miles since the last change. I would say I drive pretty aggressively. I take the car to redline, after it has sufficiently warmed, at least a few times per day. My driving does consist of a good amount of highway miles but overall I do keep the revs up once everything has warmed. I do wish the Si came with an oil temp gauge though. I really appreciated having that on my last car.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I still believe 3000 miles is something Jiffy Lube came up with to make more money :mad:
Always did my older cars at 5,000 but now just let the computer tell me on my '06 civic (R18) and '06 Pilot.
My civic gets down to 10% or 15% around 7,000 miles or so and that's when I take it in. The computer knows when it's time based on various factors so I trust it. Saves $$ doing it less frequently too :thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Absolutely, the 3,000 mile rule is incredibly outdated. All you're doing changing your oil that frequently is wasting money.

My oil life meter is at 40% and I have about 3,500 miles on my car. I'm not going to change the oil until it hits 15%.

Edit: After I wrote that I had to go out and check again because I wasn't sure if that was correct. It's actually at 30%, not 40%. My girlfriend asked me where I was going and I said "to check out the oil life meter in my car." She looked at me like I had a screw loose. LOL!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Mine got down to the light level at around 3000 miles. I guess it really does detect how you drive your car :D

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
dgs said:
Absolutely, the 3,000 mile rule is incredibly outdated. All you're doing changing your oil that frequently is wasting money.

My oil life meter is at 40% and I have about 3,500 miles on my car. I'm not going to change the oil until it hits 15%.

Edit: After I wrote that I had to go out and check again because I wasn't sure if that was correct. It's actually at 30%, not 40%. My girlfriend asked me where I was going and I said "to check out the oil life meter in my car." She looked at me like I had a screw loose. LOL!

We Si owners are pretty damn screwed up in the head. lmaoo

·
Registered
637 Posts
dgs said:

+1 Trust the car. The car knows.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
My indicator light (15%) came on at about 3450 miles. I think that means i'm driving too hard. I'm still going to wait until I hit 5000 miles.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
My indicator light (15%) came on at about 3450 miles. I think that means i'm driving too hard. I'm still going to wait until I hit 5000 miles.

i guess u can wait a bit longer....

if u see the following.
1. oil level is fine
2. oil is still clean

usually the above 2 are usual at 15% .... provided u did not have u last oil change done 5 months back or sumthing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got 8700 miles and I'm going to change it today. Oil life has been at 15% for the past couple of days. I've been staying out of Vtec.
Edit: This is my second oil change

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
i did my 2nd at 8000 miles.. anyone change their own?? if so, how do you like the placement of that oil filter? :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
chrisfrofro said:
i did my 2nd at 8000 miles.. anyone change their own?? if so, how do you like the placement of that oil filter? :thumb:
Womp Womp Waaaaaoooomp. - I haven't changed the oil on the SI yet, just all my previous cars. Is it a pain?

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
-Sylver- said:
Womp Womp Waaaaaoooomp. - I haven't changed the oil on the SI yet, just all my previous cars. Is it a pain?
If its the same place as the RSX-S... its not so much a pain to get to but more a pain to not make a huge oil mess...

Some folks have cut up milk cartons to make the mess more minimal but every time I do it on my RSX-S it hits the subframe or something and just goes in all different directions. I happen to know where to place the oil collector thing I use so I don't spill any but then I use paper towels to wipe up as much as I can and that's about 1/2 roll lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts