8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...i have an 07 si sedan..usually, i let the car warm up completely after being off for a while. it will turn on at about 1500rpm and slowly go down to the normal what is it, 800 rpm idle?...however, if i dont wait until the car is completely warmed up, when i shift into 3rd gear, a few seconds after driving in the gear, i hear a "squeak" or a grind like noise if you will..its not too loud, but it is one of those "WTF was that?!" noises...anyone with the same or similar problem? im having so many small problems with this thing and i have only put 2K on it!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
SIcivic07 said:
hey all...i have an 07 si sedan..usually, i let the car warm up completely after being off for a while. it will turn on at about 1500rpm and slowly go down to the normal what is it, 800 rpm idle?...however, if i dont wait until the car is completely warmed up, when i shift into 3rd gear, a few seconds after driving in the gear, i hear a "squeak" or a grind like noise if you will..its not too loud, but it is one of those "WTF was that?!" noises...anyone with the same or similar problem? im having so many small problems with this thing and i have only put 2K on it!
3rd gear grind. Common problem among the K-series motor. You can change the MTF, it solves the problem for a lot of people.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just give the MTF fluid a change with the same fluid from the factory? or is there a specific brand i should be putting in?

·
Registered
349 Posts
U have the problem while driving in the gear though. I had problems with getting into 3rd and having resistance so AMSOIL MTF worked for me.

Your problem might be something else though since you said it happens a few seconds while driving in gear.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
My Si's third gear seems a bit harder to engage than other gears when it's cold. To fix this, before driving off I put the clutch in and move it in and out of 3rd once or twice and it'll engage smoothly while driving. My car doesn't have any grinding issues. I can redline it and 2nd and 3rd go in smoothly.

For some reason my friend saw me do this and she screamed at me. She said doing that while not moving was bad for the transmission. I just put it off without saying anything since I wasn't a transmission expert.

Any truth to that?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bangmonsta said:
U have the problem while driving in the gear though. I had problems with getting into 3rd and having resistance so AMSOIL MTF worked for me.

Your problem might be something else though since you said it happens a few seconds while driving in gear.
yeah, i have no problems getting into 3rd gear, the "grind" comes a few seconds after being in the gear and driving. but the noise isnt as loud as a gear grind,i cant really explain it, but it only lasts for about a second anyway..should i still change the MTF?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is the problem noticeable? I would take it to the dealership first and replicate the problem to them, see what happens. I dunno if the MTF will fix it since I've never heard of anyone with your problem on this forum.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats wat ive been doing, let is just completely warm up....and if the radio isnt on, yes, its noticable. my gf asks me WTF was that everytime it happens.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
EvilSardine said:
For some reason my friend saw me do this and she screamed at me. She said doing that while not moving was bad for the transmission. I just put it off without saying anything since I wasn't a transmission expert.

Any truth to that?
I am also curious if it would hurt the transmission because i do the same when i first start the car.

I would just follow what everyone has said. Warming up the car...change MTF....etc...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
SIg said:
I am also curious if it would hurt the transmission because i do the same when i first start the car.

I would just follow what everyone has said. Warming up the car...change MTF....etc...
If you do it a lot, yeah it will hurt the tranny. It's wear and tear.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Make sure third gear is all the way in. I noticed one time when I was puting it in 3rd gear and while holding the clutch in I pushed the stick towards 3rd again - it moved up a little more. WT#!!

I usually give 2nd and 3rd gear a little more muscle and wait about 1/2 second before releasing the clutch. This seems to help.

·
Banned
173 Posts
hyperluv said:
Make sure third gear is all the way in. I noticed one time when I was puting it in 3rd gear and while holding the clutch in I pushed the stick towards 3rd again - it moved up a little more. WT#!!

I usually give 2nd and 3rd gear a little more muscle and wait about 1/2 second before releasing the clutch. This seems to help.
This is exactly what mine does. if you hold it and let the clutch out and it hasnt gone far enough it grinds or kicks back. ITS NOT FULLY ENGAGED....

Deff prob...

Its a shame you pay all this money for something to work properly in normal driving conditions.... and now you have to modify the way you drive to drive this friggin car. BS in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
gtrice31 said:
This is exactly what mine does. if you hold it and let the clutch out and it hasnt gone far enough it grinds or kicks back. ITS NOT FULLY ENGAGED....

Deff prob...

Its a shame you pay all this money for something to work properly in normal driving conditions.... and now you have to modify the way you drive to drive this friggin car. BS in my opinion.
Civics are one of the best cars for the money. If you want problem free, you should have bought a handbuilt Ferrari.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts