8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3rd gear problem fixed for 2009 ?

Hey guys, im thinking about getting a 09 or 2010 civic SI, but im wondering if people are still having issures with the transmissions?
If its fixed, what year civic did they fix it on?

·
Registered
760 Posts
My 09 has no issues, however it is a lil knotchy going into 3rd. But they never really fixed the transmission they just keep getting progressively better every year. So in theory 2010 is better then 09 > 08 > 07 > 06.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I learned early on to hold it in third as I release the clutch. If I do that, I can feel it truly engage third once the clutch is released, and then it's good.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The TSB from Honda only goes through 08, so they claim the 09's+ are fine.
Well that TSB is only good on the first batch of 08's. I have the 3rd gear problem and the dealer told me that he couldn't recreate the problem plus my VIN doesn't fall under that TSB report. Which is bull! Every morning at 6am when I go to work my 3rd gear grinds but once it warms up it's gets better but I can still feel the 3rd gear try to catch when shifting into it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
it shouldnt be a problem to get it fixed, my dealer told me that there was a recall because of the problem with the 3rd gear and their gonna rebuild my transmission under warranty:dance:

·
Registered
846 Posts
it shouldnt be a problem to get it fixed, my dealer told me that there was a recall because of the problem with the 3rd gear and their gonna rebuild my transmission under warranty:dance:
do you have a 09+?

I have a 09..3rd feels just a bit more notchy than others, almost as if there is a piece of rubber sticking out in the shift gate and i can feel that piece "flipping" as i move through it.

2nd is really problematic for me though.

i wish i had just paid the extra $800 or so and gotten the 2010 but w.e.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 09 Si, the third gear is fine with me. If your still worried about it, just get a twm Stage 2 SS and you'll be all set bro!!

I worried about this problem also before i got my ride and did research about it also.

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
Just change your tranny oil, I got rid of all notchiness and grinds when I put in Redline MTL. And I have a 2010.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Where do you live? Since I moved to Houston I might want to see if one of these dealers out here will take care of this problem for me.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I've had an 08 and an 09 Si and I can't tell a difference between the trannys. I guess if anything, the 08 feels a bit better cause it feels a bit more "broken in" if you can believe that.

·
Registered
809 Posts
09, owned it for 10 months, 51k on car now, in perfect condition. No problems with tranny, shifts are perfect. Every now and then i release the clutch too soon and grinds, but very rarely now. And one time I almost redlined in 1st, jumping out in traffic and avoid being hit, and it grind when it went to 2nd gear. other then that, perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts