8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

3rd gear fix !

22K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  BL06FG2 
#1 ·
So here is my experience . I have a 07 civic si sedan with 63k . Just got it about a month ago . My third gear always grind and lock out . So I decided to take it back to the dealership . When they checked it out , Jillian ( the service rep that was helping me . And omg I would have her help me with other things if she'd let me :p ) first asked me " have u been racing the car ? " .... It was so hard for me to try and keep a straight face hahaha . I mean I drive my car like its ment to be driven ... Constant vtec baby lol but honestly haven't raced it . Anyways I explain to her that it happens when its cold or when I'm getting off the hey or some bs like that lol . She looked at me with this evil grin on her face ... Kinda sexy :p

So they honored my warranty and ordered the part . I think it was the syncro for 3rd . Took 4 days to come in . I took the car there yesterday morning and waited for enterprise . Dumba$$ from enterprise took there sweet time to get there even though the enterprise was next door to the dealership ... I waited about an hour o_O ... Jillian even got pissed at the service of enterprise and called them constantly .

When they finally got there I realize that this is gonna suck ... They brought a mini van ..... A freaking mini van ... A town n country minivan .. imagine going from a si that goes o-60 in about 6.x secs top a mini van that can't even go up to 60 lol ... Felt more like Fred flinstone would have beat me if we had raced .. so embarrassing

Anyways picked up the car this morning and it drives flawlessly .. third has no resistance and goes perfectly in .. and the best part is that warranty covered everything ..

B4 leaving Jillian said " so next time ur racing try not to slam it into gears ok hunnie ? "
I commented that , " I wasn't racing , what ? It's a bc I'm Asian isn't it ? " lol

All in all my experience was much better than I expected . And the service was great .
I would definitely recommend "ms honda" ( McKinney-Salina) of gastonia in nc to anyone . But do not hit on Jillian .. shes mine :p

See less See more
#16 · (Edited)
OP: It feels perfect because they put fresh manual transmission fluid in it. Once it starts thinning out you'll notice that some of your problems start returning. I had the 3rd gear set replaced on my first 8th gen. The new parts were MUCH better than the original set, but weren't perfect. Most of the issues were solved, but engaging 3rd gear was still notchy from time to time. I suggest replacing the Honda MTF with some Amsoil or Royal Purple synthetic MTF. :thumb:

It's good to see some newer NC members (I'm in Raleigh). You guys should post up in the NC Chat thread if you haven't already.

#17 · (Edited)
Pleaseeeee no amsoil. Redline seems to be a great option.

Amsoil is too thin to run in our trannys and breaks down faster than honda OEM. I had nothing but problems after going to amsoil... Until I tore 2nd gear completely out and built the tranny... $2500 later, I find out from an amsoil rep that their synchromesh fluid is too thin to use unless the car is stock and daily driven. WTH!?

Honestly the only way to completely fix any and all problems with this transmission is to have someone build it with new synchros and better fluid. I used carbon lined synchros from synchrotech and my shifts are like butter smooth even when beating on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.