8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I would like to hear from people that have had them done too.

The only advice that I can give is make sure that the people that are installing it know what they are doing. esx005 got a good deal on his 3m bra and it was a good deal for a reason, they did nothing but mess everything up. He steadily ended up removing piece by piece because of how terrible it looked until he ended up with nothing but a wasted $50 + cost of 3m.

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
How much are they charging you for the install? Will you be buying the materials from them or sourcing it elsewhere? I dont have experience with neither of these, sorry

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had mine installed a year ago. Still looking great. No chips unless a really large rock hits you. Every day, after work, I check for white marks where objects hit the front of my car and just lightly dust it off! You can wax right over them without problems. They will scratch if you rub too hard so don't put too much force on them while waxing. If you have fog lights, don't let the installer cover them. They cause the lights to overheat and crack. Overall I'm satisfied and would use it again on my future vehicles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am a very satisfied VentureShield customer. Obviously install is critical so make sure you go somewhere that has a lot of experience doing clear bras. I have had all three of my vehicles done with the Ventureshield, the most recent being my new FA5 and I couldn't be happier. The shop that installed mine used to use 3M, but he switched because, according to him, the ventureshield is a better product. I can't personally attest to that, but I will say that it's held up very well on the other two cars so far.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It doesn't sound like you can make a wrong choice from those two. if you plan on keeping the car more than 4-5 years then I would go with the Venture Shield.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Alright, I'm a 3M Certified Installer of Paint Protection Film.

Here's my 2 cents.

3M invented it. 3M brought it to the automotive market. 3M is on the 3rd gen product I believe (with about 200 tweaks in there).

Ventureshield is kind of new.

The NEW venturesheild is very nice. Clarity is awesome.

However, having said that, super high clear films tend to be harder to install well without adhesive marks and silvering (champagne bubbles), but sometimes those are completely unavoidable.

I believe the new venture shield does have a top coat on it...I'd have to look it up to make sure.

Both are going to give the same amount of protection. Both look very similar once on the vehicle.

Both are GOING TO LAST THE SAME LENGTH OF TIME.

Let me say that again, both will last the same length of time.

The only difference is Venture shield is now giving a "lifetime" warranty betting on the fact that most people that own a new car own it for less than 3 years.

What is going to have a HUGE impact on how well it looks and how long it lasts are a few things.

1.) Installer. Is he good?
2.) Hand cut or kit? This goes back to #1 because some people can't install kits very well. Gaps are off, stretch marks, etc etc etc. I've seen some horrible kit jobs. Hand cutting is nice because it allows edges to be wrapped if that's how they install.
3.) YOU

Now about #3. Wash your car. Don't let dead bugs sit on it all the time. And for the love of all that is holy WAX IT.

Since the stuff is urethane it will absorb oil based environmental pollutants. So wash it and wax it. Usually the stuff doesn't yellow, but it can change color (to a greyish) from absorbing stuff.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the venture shield. i love it. no more pings from driving. i paid $500 otd. the installer also had 3M, but recommened the venture.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Plexus is nice, it removes scratches in the film, but it's a silicon polish. Wax does a better job protecting IMO.

Do not wax your car before taking it in. Polish it to remove any scratches before hand, but all wax will be removed before it applies the film.

Feel free to wash and clay bar it though. Obviously he will wash it before hand, but the cleaner you bring it the better.

The way I do it is I wash the car. Use either 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover or a wax and silicon remover (used for paint prep). This removes all wax, bugs, etc. Then I clay bar and clean it all off. Then apply.

But I'd personally love it if someone clay bared their car before hand. It would just make my clay baring easier. Heck, it's hard enough to convince people to take their car to the car wash before they bring it to me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Even if they did the clearbra hides almost all minor scratches and swirl marks.

Plus it's high enough gloss that it looks better than most people's paint. LOL. Looks awesome on a brand new car, but if you put it onto someone's beater it stands out because it's shiny. LOL.

If I were you I'd trust the fact they know how to clean it properly. They appear to be professionals. Plus, everyone's cleaning and prep technique is slightly different and there's no set in stone method. Remove wax, make sure it's clean, apply. Many ways to skin that cat.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
get the one with the best warranty since they are the same product. I got the 3M through my dealer, and they gave me lifetime warranty. They are supposed to last the same amount of time(forever), but **** happens. Its always nice to have a backup ten years form now, i know i will still be pissed when i get a ding or a chip even when the car is that old.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Trust me, neither will last forever.

Five to eight years depending on climate and how well you maintain it.

So don't fall pray to the "lifetime warranty" sales tool.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I had one (Venture shield film) on my last car and it was installed by someone who has years and years of experience. I won't get another one unless I buy another sportscar. For what I spent on the install I could have just have paid to have the front end resprayed down the road. I'll use the OEM bra for trips, and re-paint the front end in 5 years as it will cost exactly the same. Not worth the trouble IMO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts