8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone put one of these on their Civic/Si? I'm thinking of putting one on mine after hearing so many negatives on the paint. The one thing I'm worried about is the paint looking different over time b/c of the clear bra.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
well look at it this way, you can have rock chips or faded paint... pick your poison.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
haha. yep. if you could have had the best of both worlds it would have already been done.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It doesn't.

I have 3M on my Taffy FA5. The guy who did it for me, who is also a friend of mine, said that you need to put a coat of wax on the 3M once a month or it will discolor over time. He said it will turn kind of yellowish, which is most noticeable on a white car. On another color car, it will make your paint look faded.

Put some wax on it once a month and problem solved.

and you have to look pretty close to even see it on the car.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just curious, but about how much does that cost on average? i tried calling a local automotive shop that does it & keep getting voicemail.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
it won't fade your paint because the light will go through the film and all your paint will fade evenly (paint on a car fades over time). expect to pay anywhere from 300-600 dollars depending on the kit (there are different sizes). the newer 3m film is supposed to not yellow and there are other films besides 3m out there

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've got the 3M clear bra on the hood and fenders...and it does make the paint under the bra look different...it looks brand new after 34,500 miles while the unprotected paint is, shall we say, not mint.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the Venture Shield on my car. I don't have it on my TSX and it has soooo many rock chips. However, my Si is flawless! :) Get it!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont have the 3m I have the clear shield and my advice to you is to get one.... I dont think it really matters 3m or a competing brand go with what your comftorable with.

I was going to get 3m but the dealer I trust used clear shield so I got that one instead.

AND FYI...
My neighbor has a black Si without one and the front of his car makes me cry, he has 15K miles on it and it looks like my black Spev V did when i traded it in with 94K miles.

ps Im looking into the film that protects the headlights now..

·
Registered
718 Posts
My friend did mine for $100. But, he is my friend, and he is cheaper than anywhere else even for non-friends.

He did my whole car in tint and did 3M on the hood and fenders for $250 total.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I have the 3M clear bra on both my G35 and my FA5. Well worth it IMO. My G35 is 5 years old and doesn't have one nick or chip in the paint. My FA5 is pristine as well. You can barely see the clear bra on the car.

I don't think you can see it on either my G35 or my FA5 in these pictures and from some angles, you don't see it at all.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
you can't see the film but you can see the line from a certain distance... i would also get your door cups and mirrors done. that and full bumper, extended hood and fenders

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Grimey said:
For that price, I'd rather wait a few years and get the hood and bumper repainted again.
it will cost you more to get your hood and bumper repainted. it will cost you much much more to get your hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors repainted (unless you dyi i spose), but if some people don't get as many chips as others so its not always necessary to do either (clear bra/repaint)

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Grimey said:
For that price, I'd rather wait a few years and get the hood and bumper repainted again.
Resale......if I was appraising your car and saw the front bumper and hood repainted I would think Accident!!!! No matter what you said, I would think you were lying and so would any other dealer. Just a little FYI.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
074doorSI said:
It doesn't.

I have 3M on my Taffy FA5. The guy who did it for me, who is also a friend of mine, said that you need to put a coat of wax on the 3M once a month or it will discolor over time. He said it will turn kind of yellowish, which is most noticeable on a white car. On another color car, it will make your paint look faded.

Put some wax on it once a month and problem solved.

and you have to look pretty close to even see it on the car.
Wait a second. You said that it doesn't fade, but then you also say that if you wax it, it won't fade/discolor. Which is it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts