8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 FA5 SI and was wondering if anyone has installed the 3M Ceramic Tint on their window. My window tint person set the tint on the rear windows, 4 doors, and the little triangles...the tint adhered to the rear window but bubbled like crazy on the doors. They redid the doors twice with the same issue and finally put 3M colorstable, which adhered perfectly. The installer spoke to 3M head of R&D and she said that they started to see some issues with an anti-fog application on the interior of the window causing the tint to not adhere properly. They also said they use different types of solutions to adhere to the glass for the Colorstable vs Ceramic vs Crystalline, which is why the colorstable adhered but not the ceramic

Anyone run into this? What do you think...Legit?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Anti-fog leaves behind a residue (please don't use anti-fog on the tint, it will eat the scratch resistant coating).

Once upon a time, Color Stable did use a different adhesive than the rest of the 3M films. But last I heard they were changing it. This was because of several reasons and the most annoying reason was the tint always had this distorted line at the top of it where the window rested against the gasket.

So I wouldn't doubt the Color Stable film now uses the same adhesive as the rest of them.

The installer should be using the same solution (soapy water) to apply it. Color Stable doesn't require anything special. I personally use Film-On for an application fluid, but most people use baby shampoo.

If you got the new ceramic, my guess is the installer just doesn't know how to install it properly. He might have not squeegeed out enough water. True ceramics (Huper Optik, Geoshield ceramic, MAC, and the new 3M ceramic) are harder to install than regular films and people that don't know what they're doing can easily screw it up.

It could also be a bad roll of tint too. I know I use a different roll for the back window (larger) than I do for the side windows.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts