8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. Noob with a question for those who have already dug deep into their audio systems. While I like the way the stock system in my wifes EX Coupe sounds we recently spent quite a bit of money to upgrade her 99 Accord which we traded for the Civic. So I was thinking of taking the 6.5in Infinity Kappa Components and placing them in the Civic. However, I am concerned the factory amp may be insufficient to properly drive these speakers which are 90W RMS. Not sure how the facory amp is setup to drive the stock speakers and how the power is divided if it is a multi-channel amp. The factory sub will probably be ok so long as it does not rattle as others have noted. Worse case is all the aftermarket stuff gets put in my car:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I upgraded my system to use the Infinity Reference Components and Alpine Type S in the rear. Both of these speakers have a sensitivity of 99dB, and I imagine the Kappas are similar. As such, they will sound great in this system.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I see tha that the Infinity Reference is also 90W RMS. I had been driving my Kappa's with a 400W RMS Kenwoond Excelon amp along with a 10' Infinity sub. It is my unerstanding that it is more dangerous to underdrive a speaker than to overdrive it. So I am concerned that the stock amp may not be enough. It is driving 6 speakers and a sub so the front's will probably only be getting maybe 60W per speaker. Also do not know if the amp is rated for RMS or max power. I am just guessing since I can not find any specifics on how the stock amp is setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts