8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped off my 06 GG Si this morning at the local Honda dealer to repair a gouge in the front bumper made by a jackass kid on a bicycle. Waiting for my ride to work, I checked out some of the new models on the lot. They have a blue (atomic?) Mugen Si sedan on the lot. Sticker in the window was slightly over $31K. Besides Mugen specific bodywork and suspension, I don't think the car is changed much from the base Si sedan. Is this thing worth the extra money over the base Si? I'm not considering it at all since I absolutely still love my 06 Si but just curious if someone knows more about Mugen extra features. Body work is pretty nice I must admit. Has 18 inch HFP rims which, to me, don't go well with the blue paint. Dealer is Hinderer Honda in Heath, OH if anyone is interested in the car. :thumb:

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
A lot of people (me included) would say no, it's not even close to being worth it. If you look at the upgrades over a regular si sedan and price each and every one of them then technically it is worth it, but with that amount of money there are so many other (better) options open to you that it would be ridiculous to get a civic at that point.

[edit] I just noticed that you said it has 18" hfp rims, did they remove the Mugen rims?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Kids are for teh lose.

The Mugen Si only comes in Fiji Blue Pearl. Atomic Blue Metallic is for DX/LX/EX Models only.

It is worth it if you are considering buying the same parts from Mugen and applying it to your car but it is NOT worth it if you want a car with better performance. It's like having a Jordan instead of a Footlocker Generic.

The parts cost more because of the brand name. If you were to buy suspension, etc. that would equal the performance of the Mugen it would cost about 5k less.

So no, to me, the car is not worth the price unless you REALLY liked the "Mugen" brand. Then it's a whole different story.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
If you like it, buy it. Thats all I can say.

You are going to get many people that say "its only a SI with JDM parts" or "who would pay 31$ for a civic"...To let you know, those are NOT HFP wheels, they are the Mugen GPs that run 700$ a piece...

I JUST got mine on Saturday, traded in my 06 SI for it, and i love it....and YES I KNOW IT AS THE SAME ENGINE...but the suspension is great, it rides better than the reg. SI and personally I think it looks better. It sounds deeper with the Mugen catback which is nice, and I like a 4 door better than the coupe now...

If you have the money, like the car, then just f*cking buy it....I could have got a S2K or an STi, but I liked the Mugen better, its a car and you should buy what you like

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Kids are for teh lose.

The Mugen Si only comes in Fiji Blue Pearl. Atomic Blue Metallic is for DX/LX/EX Models only.

It is worth it if you are considering buying the same parts from Mugen and applying it to your car but it is NOT worth it if you want a car with better performance. It's like having a Jordan instead of a Footlocker Generic.

The parts cost more because of the brand name. If you were to buy suspension, etc. that would equal the performance of the Mugen it would cost about 5k less.

So no, to me, the car is not worth the price unless you REALLY liked the "Mugen" brand. Then it's a whole different story.
You are the first person who actually explained why you wouldn't buy the Mugen with out totally downing the car =D

But, coming from someone who went from a 06 SI to a Mugen, it does ride better, smoother, takes nice tight turns, shifts are shorter and smoother...So it does perform better than the regular SI.

Now is the added performance worth the extra $$$, i don't know...the extra money is because of Mugen being JDM, and yes you can buy quality parts for less

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It had the grey HFP rims; same as on my Si. Not sure what the Mugen rims look like.

I have the money to buy it but don't like this particular one if it only comes in blue. It's an attractive car but I'm not much of blue fan. I agree that you should buy what you like however. Shouldn't compromise much on car because normally you're going to plant your butt in the drivers seat for many years.

Kind of thought the added expense was for the Mugen name and expert installation so to speak. Plus warranty of course.

·
Registered
770 Posts
waste of money...with 10-12K to play with I would have a much better Si. It looks nice, a little overdone but I am someone who only buys body kits/lips/spoilers if they actually make a difference...if they don't make a difference on performance and just add weight to the car then its a waste of money. The mugen Si's spoiler looks like it would actually benefit the car but the suspension mods I am a little doubtful about. I think the car rides better and because it does it gives the driver more confidence but I don't think it corners better than a Stock Si. It would be interesting to put the two around a track and see which one wins. I know for a fact that a Stock Si can stay with an S2000 around low/medium speed turns and motortrend stated that the the Mugen Si was about as fast as an S2000 CR...they said they were using the same lines and reached about the same cornering speeds and close to same speed on the straight.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ok, i know i've read around why people think its worth it and why is not. if it is or if its not depends on the buyer. I mean to me, its no worth it just for the simple fact that it has the same engine. I mean it would be cool having a v6 in there with more HP, then i would consider it. Second, its still a civic. I know i could get a different car with more HP and luxury for that money or a bit more. And well i think blue is nice, but just not my cup of tea. i would like better options for my 30 grand. Still nice car tho. wouldn't mind having it, just wouldn't pay so much for it.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing pics of this car. I am not so sure it isn't a HFP civic with a badge.

either way $31,000 on a civic worth it??

should you even ask that question?

·
Registered
394 Posts
To me, it wouldn't be worth it. If I wanted to spend 30+ on a car I'd look at getting something with more performance, as others of said like an Evo or Sti, etc.

don't get me wrong the car is beautiful, I LOVE the styling that Mugen did with the car and everything is top notch, but when I sit down with a picture of my 07 FBP FA5 and a pile of money (10 grandish) vs a picture of the Mugen Si...

I just couldn't make that trade, as beautiful as the car is. But, also as others have said, YMMV, and buying a car isn't like getting married, in terms of the car you're only in it to have fun (well and to not die I suppose) so, when it comes down to it, as long as you're not picking up a lemon or a piece of ****, buy what you like.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dropped off my 06 GG Si this morning at the local Honda dealer to repair a gouge in the front bumper made by a jackass kid on a bicycle. Waiting for my ride to work, I checked out some of the new models on the lot. They have a blue (atomic?) Mugen Si sedan on the lot. Sticker in the window was slightly over $31K. Besides Mugen specific bodywork and suspension, I don't think the car is changed much from the base Si sedan. Is this thing worth the extra money over the base Si? I'm not considering it at all since I absolutely still love my 06 Si but just curious if someone knows more about Mugen extra features. Body work is pretty nice I must admit. Has 18 inch HFP rims which, to me, don't go well with the blue paint. Dealer is Hinderer Honda in Heath, OH if anyone is interested in the car. :thumb:
this might explain why the mugen wheels arent on it

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
maybe it was my dealer, but you all are saying "10k more"....how much did you pay for your Si's?????

For my 06' SI with the Navi, Fogs and HFP lip kit, I paid ~28K.....maybe thats why I think 2K more is worth it for the Mugen

I paid 22k for mine with navi. you got bent over for the lip kit and fogs (I know cause my dealer tried to do the same) sorry man but its true. In your case hell its not much more at all.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
Relative to the US MSRP, I would say that a 50% difference in price over the regular Si isn't worth it. I'd much rather buy a regular FA5 w/ navigation and add the following modifications myself:

1. Koni custom suspension - $1800
  2. Retrofit - $1200
  3. HFP lip kit - $1200
  4. Potenza RE-01Rs - $800
  5. Camber kit (front and rear) - $300
  6. Supercharger - $3,595
  7. Exhaust - $650

... and I still have money left over to do so much more.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:eek:hnoes: not again
Das verstehe ich nicht........

Not looking at new cars at all. Mine is almost paid up. Looking a few suspension upgrades this summer but overall totally enjoy my car. '06 GG Si, HFP full body kit, 18 in HFP rims. HFP exhaust.

No idea why the car has HFP rims. Doesn't look good on the car at all. Front lip is interesting however. I like the side canards. Not that the car will ever travel fast enough to take advantage of any of the added body work.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts