8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first change oil is due , so i switch to mobil1 synthetic oil , i'm a happy customer u can feel the diff with mobil1..smooth runs harder...::vtec:

·
Registered
346 Posts
JZA80CANNONBALLR said:
yeah i was told the first change is supposed to be done at 5k due to some special break in oil that is used...:xyxnervou
I never heard that? I changed mine yesterday at 1500 miles :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Some people prefer to do their first oil change at an earlier interval due to the break in oil having more contaminants, etc.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Duce2k said:
Some people prefer to do their first oil change at an earlier interval due to the break in oil having more contaminants, etc.
how does 'break in' oil have more contaminants? Not doubting you, just curious

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Leonard1818 said:
how does 'break in' oil have more contaminants? Not doubting you, just curious
It's not the fact that it's break in oil, it's just that it's the engines first fill and all the wear metals and contaminants become trapped in this oil (in theory you want this gone). There is a constant debate on this site weather to keep it in or not for that reason.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
but I think you be fine, I think it dont really matther cuzz I take mine to the dealer and they did for free at 2000 mile

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
volvo9 said:
It's not the fact that it's break in oil, it's just that it's the engines first fill and all the wear metals and contaminants become trapped in this oil (in theory you want this gone). There is a constant debate on this site weather to keep it in or not for that reason.
Ahhh, i getcha. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Maintenance Minder said the oil change was due at 3110 miles? That's odd.. mine didn't say I needed the first oil change until about 6500 miles - and that's when I changed it. I follow the MM system, anything more is wasteful, IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts