8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they say third time's a charm. In my case, I sure as hell hope so.

Bought my 2007 Si at the end of July. A few weeks after that, it developed a nasty oil leak. Lost most of the oil. Had it towed to the nearest dealership. They told me it was a "pinhole in the oil filter". Went on my way, but never stopped checking my driveway for leaks since...

Three weeks later -- same damn thing. I had moved, so had it towed to the nearest dealership, which was different than the first one. Diagnosis? "Loose oil filter." Huh???

Well, wouldn't you know it, but I got home tonight, only to find some nice sized spots in my garage. Again. And in my driveway.

So, tomorrow, I go back to the dealership. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. I love the car to death. I drive it just to drive it. Which is what makes this suck even more.

Anyway, I'm not looking for sympathy, or an answer. Just looking to vent maybe. It could be worse I guess. Off to the dealership tomorrow. Which is the same one as the last time. And yeah, I'll be upset. I won't really have to try :)

BTW, great forum. Been lurking here since I got my Si. I've learned a hell of a lot about my car.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
BTW, great forum. Been lurking here since I got my Si. I've learned a hell of a lot about my car.

Ditto... well that and the 400 posts but still a informitive forum...

i work at a stealership and bitching wont get you anything... being nice and making them feel bad is your key, dont yell dont sware just look disapointed like they should know better, speak to the service manager and you might get a oil change out of it...

Abit of oil loss here and there is no biggie, if you wouldnt have noticed and kept driving and went to florida then you might have problems...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i work at a stealership and bitching wont get you anything... being nice and making them feel bad is your key, dont yell dont sware just look disapointed like they should know better, speak to the service manager and you might get a oil change out of it...
Yeah, I don't really take the yelling and cursing approach anyway. Good advice.

I don't want to lemon law it either. I just want it not to leak oil anymore :)

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Eh, an oil leak isn't THAT bad. Worst case scenario take it to a mechanic that KNOWS what they're doing, pay the hour labor or whatever to have it diagnosed for real, take it back to honda with that information, have Honda fix it for free, tell them you paid someone else to diagnose it correctly and see if you can get some free stuff.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe you should crawl under there and see where it's actually coming from instead of taking their word for it. Two oil leaks attributed to filters, what are the odds?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe you should crawl under there and see where it's actually coming from instead of taking their word for it. Two oil leaks attributed to filters, what are the odds?
I've been under there. All I see is oil all around the oil filter. I've had a diesel mechanic friend of mine check it out too. It's pretty damn mysterious. And it's a delayed leak. Meaning, it will be perfectly fine for 3 or 4 weeks -- not a drop -- and then suddenly, oil will start leaking out. And I'm not talking about a couple of drops on the cement. I'm talking half a quart of oil.

Well, an update. Yesterday, I took it to Diamond Bar Honda, where I took it the last time. I pretty much got treated like royalty. I was really impressed actually. They've had it overnight, and they said they would get to the bottom of it. I insisted on a rental car this time, and I got it. So, I'm really anxious to see what they've found out -- if anything.

...hope you get that leak eliminated, and start enjoying your Civic.

Welcome -> 8th

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Ah, you're local! Sorry to hear about the leak though. Must hurt more since the car seems to eat a bit of oil too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, you're local! Sorry to hear about the leak though. Must hurt more since the car seems to eat a bit of oil too.
Thanks. Yeah, Brea, to be exact. Profile updated :)

Yeah, I've heard about it burning oil. But so far, I haven't been able to keep enough of it in there to be able to tell!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just got off the phone with my service advisor. The leak was coming from "around the oil filter". They replaced the oil filter, drove the car around, and the leak stopped.

I'm supposed to talk to the service manager on Monday about what to do next. Also, the mechanic that's working on my car is supposed to be calling Honda to see if they've ever heard of this before.

Finally, they were able to duplicate the popping noise coming from the front left wheel. However, they won't get the parts in until Tuesday. Thankfully, I have a nice Accord that they rented me, so no sweat there.

Alright. I'll quit bitching. Anyone ever heard of this oil leak problem before?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HA. You are lucky to only have had three trips :p.

I have seriously gone down there 6+ times.
Uggh. *That* sucks. I hope I don't make it to that many...

thats sucks, good luck on it.
Yeah it does -- and thanks. But I am getting my front left bump stop replaced, thanks to the service bulletin I found on this forum :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
DB honda huh? I've only taken my car there once for an alarm issue. I still have to take it back there again for the recall... They're ok but had not so good experience with them with my gf car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts