8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay first of all i'm new to driving stick. there i said it, i'm a nub! :p i had my car since end of december and i have definitely gotten miles better at driving however some minor stuff i still need answered...

1) so here's a scenario...
i'm pulling up to my garage and i'm in 2nd gear going around 5mph in without gas (that's the lowest mph i can achieve in 2nd gear w/o stalling). then i have to start creeping slowly (to not hit the house wall in front of me of course) so i press in the clutch and get the miles around 1-4mph while in 2nd. now correct me if i'm wrong but is that not bad for the clutch (riding?). shouldn't i just downshift into 1st and go in then? but everyone keeps telling me that you should never go from 2nd to 1st unless your at a complete stop and starting up again. jeebuz i'm confused.

2) this one kind of links in with #1. okay so when i hit a speed bump i try to stay in 2nd gear and when i slow down alot (2-4mph) i just clutch in. a different friend told me he just shifts into 1st all the time on speed bumps but then aren't you again not supposed to downshift from 2nd to 1st????

3) when i reverse i clutch in, shift to R, then slowly let go of the clutch and then reverse out slowly out my garage. i don't even have to gas it for if i do i'll be reversing out way to fast, and of course i never get past the friction point cuz i'll just stall in reverse. BASICALLY, i just use the clutch for reversing. Isn't that also slipping the clutch so it's bad or is that normal procedure (wear and tear) for regular reversing?

help plz. k thnx.

·
Registered
513 Posts
okay first of all i'm new to driving stick. there i said it, i'm a nub! :p i had my car since end of december and i have definitely gotten miles better at driving however some minor stuff i still need answered...

1) so here's a scenario...
i'm pulling up to my garage and i'm in 2nd gear going around 5mph in without gas (that's the lowest mph i can achieve in 2nd gear w/o stalling). then i have to start creeping slowly (to not hit the house wall in front of me of course) so i press in the clutch and get the miles around 1-4mph while in 2nd. now correct me if i'm wrong but is that not bad for the clutch (riding?). shouldn't i just downshift into 1st and go in then? but everyone keeps telling me that you should never go from 2nd to 1st unless your at a complete stop and starting up again. jeebuz i'm confused.

No reason you can't downshift to first. Your friend is likely saying that because under most circumstances second gear is low enough if you are rolling. I take off in second gear quite a bit, actually. In your case I'd keep it in second and be ready to press the clutch when you get to where you need to park. I tend to coast into my driveway but change to first anyway, releasing the clutch pedal just a bit to get to the end and right where I want to be. Also, riding the clutch is more of what you're meaning below here in reverse, where you don't have it pressed or released completely, OR when people rest their foot on the clutch pedal when driving "not" pressing it (though its just enough pressure for it to wear exponentially faster).

2) this one kind of links in with #1. okay so when i hit a speed bump i try to stay in 2nd gear and when i slow down alot (2-4mph) i just clutch in. a different friend told me he just shifts into 1st all the time on speed bumps but then aren't you again not supposed to downshift from 2nd to 1st????

Don't worry about the downshift. Just use first if you need it. I do.

3) when i reverse i clutch in, shift to R, then slowly let go of the clutch and then reverse out slowly out my garage. i don't even have to gas it for if i do i'll be reversing out way to fast, and of course i never get past the friction point cuz i'll just stall in reverse. BASICALLY, i just use the clutch for reversing. Isn't that also slipping the clutch so it's bad or is that normal procedure (wear and tear) for regular reversing?

Same for me, and I realized there's probably quite a bit of clutch wear from keeping the speed down in reverse with a cold motor. I let the clutch out enough to accelerate to whatever speed is appropriate, then press it back down to let the inertia keep me going.
help plz. k thnx.
Responses in bold.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks so much for the reply eric. i feel alot better and assured now. woo hoo. :woot: it's not that one of my friends told me not to downshift 2nd into 1st rolling but it seems to be a general consensus here on the 8th as well... just like 24boosted hurriedly proclaimed. lol.

i'm still really really curious on 24boosted's take on the matter... or anyone else who says you shouldn't go into 1st moving..

·
Registered
525 Posts
as for the reverse issue: as long as the difference between the clutch and flywheel RPM's isn't large, you're ok. (i'd say somewhere around 1.2-1.5k rpms if starting from a standstill)

if you feather the clutch in reverse while holding RPM's at 2.5k, then it's probably wearing the clutch a lot more than is necessary.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
There isn't a problem with shifting into first at those slow speeds. I shift into first at 25mph+ for crying out loud. Just rev match and the shift will be butter smooth.

I can also shift into reverse when moving backwards when I rev match. If you mess up you'll get a horrible grind but it just takes practice.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
thanks so much for the reply eric. i feel alot better and assured now. woo hoo. :woot: it's not that one of my friends told me not to downshift 2nd into 1st rolling but it seems to be a general consensus here on the 8th as well... just like 24boosted hurriedly proclaimed. lol.

i'm still really really curious on 24boosted's take on the matter... or anyone else who says you shouldn't go into 1st moving..
Just make your speed/mph isn't to high for that gear or you will over-rev and that spell's trouble. I think our max speed is 38-39 mph for 1st gear so if you're a little bit below that range I'd be careful since as soon as you let the clutch out you will be in v-tec and POOF you need to switch gears again instantly! :vtec:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
just take it out of gear when you are rolling in the garage, blip it in first if you need a little momentum...

:dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts