8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the FAQs/sticky posts in this forum but they still don't answer my question:

Will 225/40 tires on 18x8 [+42mm] rims run into any issues with rubbing, etc. at zero camber, zero toe front & back? I do not wish to roll fenders. For now, I plan on dropping the car by 1.5" and 1.2" front & rear, respectively, with Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers. The thing is, I still have stock rims & tires and I'd rather make sure the wheels & tires I want will fit properly without any fitment issues before I place them on order.

How about 255/35 on 18x9 [+39] with everything else same as above?

·
Registered
665 Posts
yep, you will surely rub in either scenario.. with the 18x8 +42 it will be pretty minor tho.

but did you seriously think you could get away with 18x9 +39 with 255/35 without rubbing? not a chance lol

and just fyi, i have almost identical fender clearance specs on my wheels. 18x7.5 +37 with 225/40 but with only 1" HFP drop, zero toe and camber all around and even that causes rub. its rare, but it happens. and youre talking about going a half inch lower. the back will rub a lot. you can do some simple mods to prevent rubbing in the front but almost never happens in my car. i think it rubbed the front once in the last month and half or so that ive had these wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you say 225/40 on 18x8 [+42] will rub, albeit slightly. I really like 8" wide rims. Is there no way I can keep the tires & rims from rubbing (w/ 1.5" drop front and 1.2" drop rear) without rolling fenders and w/o negative cambers? Do you think the rubbing issue can be resolved by merely switching the offset?

·
Registered
665 Posts
So you say 225/40 on 18x8 [+42] will rub, albeit slightly. I really like 8" wide rims. Is there no way I can keep the tires & rims from rubbing (w/ 1.5" drop front and 1.2" drop rear) without rolling fenders and w/o negative cambers?
possibly with a slightly narrower 215/40, or go lower profile with a 225/35.. i havent checked using the tire calculator to see exactly how much extra clearance that would make, but it would help.

Do you think the rubbing issue can be resolved by merely switching the offset?
yep, definitely

·
Registered
665 Posts
What offset(s) would resolve the rubbing issue if I go with 225/40 on 18x8?
hmm.. thats hard to say without just asking around and learning what others have experienced. with a 1.5" drop? i would say something absolutely no less than a +45. but even thats probably cutting it close. the extra 3mm may not seem like much additional clearance, but it kinda is. in my current setup, when i do rub, it actually rubs the sidewall. so im almost clear completely. i think if i had a few more mm of clearance itd stop it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm.. thats hard to say without just asking around and learning what others have experienced. with a 1.5" drop? i would say something absolutely no less than a +45. but even thats probably cutting it close. the extra 3mm may not seem like much additional clearance, but it kinda is. in my current setup, when i do rub, it actually rubs the sidewall. so im almost clear completely. i think if i had a few more mm of clearance itd stop it.
How much clearance would I have against the strut with my set up?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why zero camber...? That seems silly.
why not? for one, it just looks better.. negative camber any time is, imo, an eyesore. secondly it will help curb the understeer a litle bit. the rear end has the wishbone suspension, so unlike the front end it gains camber under load anyway. why run camber to start with? and lastly, and to me most importantly, it takes premature tire wear completely out of the equation. i know my tires will last.

*edit* im not completely against having negative camber mind you.. i just dont want it in the rear. when i get off my lazy butt i have a set of camber bolts ive been waiting to put on the front end... but i dunno... i dont really like the idea of my camber being dialed in with a pair of bolts with tabs on them. it just seems very cheesy and crude. im waiting till i get my new koni coilover setup, and ill probably just dish out the extra dough for the camber plates.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Ah, just against negative in the rear, that I can understand at least.
My bolts have held up quite nicely in the front btw, no slipping over even the harshest bottoming out.
But camber plates are definitely a better solution for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.