8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i tried searching but theres a million tire threads and i didnt find anything about this...

i got an awesome deal on a set of firestone blizzaks size 215 55 17.

i was curious hows the fitament going to be?

will they rub?

any feedback please?

edit: i have a stock 07 sedan si.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
They're definitely too tall, going to raise your car about an inch. Yeah lifted civics... lol.

Being that tall definitely increases the chances of them rubbing, and your speedo will be like 6% off. But brake failure? No, definitely not. The people running 20s usually end up with tires that tall and nothing bad happens, except ugliness.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
if its for a canadian winter, you CAN get away with that sizing. it will throw your speedo off, and usually you want a narrower tire to cut through the snow, not to plow overtop of it. a 195/65 or 205/55 is ideal.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input

i orginally was looking for 16 on steelies but i got such a sweet deal i couldnt pass it up.

its still gotta be better then stocks in the winter. last year got alittle scary. plus my stocks are getting low on tread.

has anyone else actually tried this before?

id assume that it would make the ride alot softer. which would be ideal for the winter.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
ideal for winter would be narrower tires. taller sidewall does nothing to help control the car.

id recomend 205/50/17 for winter tires.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think they are missing the point with that warning about the brakes failing. There are load and clearance issues that would come into play before a brake failure. Maybe they will fail after the tire is cut from rubbing and blows out. Or if going too small, after the tire blows out from being overloaded. That might cause the brakes to be less effective. Seems like a peculiar message to me

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i plan on putting them on soon then. i report any issues.

i will post up some pics of my raised civic lol

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed the blizzaks today.

had a couple inches of snow and in the next couple days might get 8-12 inches.

first impressions - they ride really nice. grip is impressive. i had some dunlop graspics before and these feel pretty damn good.

ride heighth - its a good couple inches.

looks - the blizzaks have some aggressive looking thread and u can see it from the side, plus the raised look imo makes it look kinda mean.

theres about a 2 finger gap on top and alittle less on the front wheel. should i be worried about that?

and now the raised up si...

·
Registered
432 Posts
9" hahaha wow that's huge.
I haven't measured mine but it's nowhere near that and I didn't have issues when we got 8"+ of snow the other day.

luckily increased ground clearance isn't an issue in winter:D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update: i am experiencing alittle rubbing mostly on the tread part of the tire when hitting bumps like railroad tracks in the snow. it hasnt caused any damage though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey man how was your overall experience with these tires? Did it work out?
So I know this forum is hella old but I recently used this tire size on my 2010 si and I rub like mother on the freeway. On the street though its good feels great. But still runs on hard turns. So what I've done is got the rear quarter panels rolled. This wasn't enough but it helped so now I. Investing on some D2 coilovers. If that doesn't solve the rubbing ima have to go with fender flare mod. So over all if your nit ready to spend the extra money i would stick with 215 45 r17. 55 is too wide but they do look bitchen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey man how was your overall experience with these tires? Did it work out?
So I know this forum is hella old but I recently used this tire size on my 2010 si and I rub like mother on the freeway. On the street though its good feels great. But still runs on hard turns. So what I've done is got the rear quarter panels rolled. This wasn't enough to stop the rubbing but it helped. Im Investing on some D2 coilovers to see if the load capacity difference will stop the frame from coming down so hard. If that doesn't solve the rubbing ima have to go with fender flare mod. So over all if your not ready to spend the extra money to make this suckera fit i suggest you stick with 215 45 r17. 55 is too wide but they do look bitchen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts