8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a little dilemma
I'm wondering whether I should go with 215/45/17's or 225/45/17's for my 17x7 wheels
I'm talking to my local tire vendor and this is what he says:

Well I personally prefer using the 225/45R17 as it is actually closer in over diameter to the stock 195/65R15 or 205/55R16's. The Civic Si came out on 215/45R17's as a stock size so that is why most guys think that is the size they need to use on the non-Si's, but it isn't actually as correct. Even if you go to Tirerack in the U.S., who has there own test facilities etc, they recommend using the 225/4R17...

So should I go with the 225's or go ahead and go with 215's? whats the main difference? pros and cons?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, the only thing that I heard about 225's is that it makes it look like theres too much tire?
is this true?

·
Registered
63 Posts
225s! Such a difference from 215s in terms of performance and handling. Pretty much the widest possible the best, and 225s are the widest possible without modifying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
aodmisery said:
go with the 225s there wider so more traction, i been running them on my si and i wouldnt go back to 215s
+1

just got my 225's today and they don't look too wide or anything, just perfect.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks guys, looks like I'm going with the 225's. I've been trying to figure this out for so long.. so I just decided to ask
Also... what do you guys think of Nexen N3000 tires?

·
Registered
683 Posts
well, for the correct speed and mileage on your car it depends on what model you have. for the si you should stick with 215 if you have the other models...dx, lx, ex, hybrid you should stick with 225.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
.....i have a dx with 235/45/17s and its fine...i rubb somtimes though..but at the track i was pulling 2.2 60's and there like all seasons

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
projectprelude said:
.....i have a dx with 235/45/17s and its fine...i rubb somtimes though..but at the track i was pulling 2.2 60's and there like all seasons
I have a DX-G... I think I'll be going with 225's haha I don't want any rubbing
btw, your car looks pretty sweet in your DP.. the contrast between the two is cool haha

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
lol thanx...yeah the tires only rubb when i have the wheel cut ALL the way...its not a problem or anything though...thanx btw...lol

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
exbauer said:
well, for the correct speed and mileage on your car it depends on what model you have. for the si you should stick with 215 if you have the other models...dx, lx, ex, hybrid you should stick with 225.
does it really affect speed and milage to have a wider tire, i thought it was only if the tire had a different size sidewall than stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hoanger said:
Alright thanks guys, looks like I'm going with the 225's. I've been trying to figure this out for so long.. so I just decided to ask
Also... what do you guys think of Nexen N3000 tires?
I have 225/45/17 Nexen 3000's on my '06 EX and
i love them having put 1000 miles of daily spirited driving. I do notice there is more traction to the point that it feels like it pulls. May be the tramlining thing but it is always to the outside of the lane I'm in. I can definitely notice the differnence on off ramps at speed. However the only perf tire I have to compare it to is Michelin Pilots so ask me again in about 3k miles I am waiting to get the dreaded Korean tire quality fade.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
hoanger said:
I have a DX-G... I think I'll be going with 225's haha I don't want any rubbing
btw, your car looks pretty sweet in your DP.. the contrast between the two is cool haha

look at the pics of my car with the blue wheels

those are 17x7.5 and im running 225 45 17" ... some people say it looks like alot of tire .. but once i lowered it .. looks 100x better ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts