8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Civic owner, bought one last week and love it.

However, coming from a much higher car, I'm not used to the low clearances of a Civic. I scraped my front bumper air spoiler (the black piece under the bumper) today after hitting a raised bit of pavement in a poorly-lit parking lot.

I'm looking to replace this. The scrape may be minor, but I don't want my brand new car to have a scraped part on it! (The paint/bumper itself are both fine, just this plastic piece got some very minor scrapes). I found the replacement parts on multiple sites and they're cheap, but is this something I should do or leave to a dealer? Also, would the dealer be able to get this part or would I need to go to their body shop?

From the looks of it all I'd need to do is clip this thing on. However, I'm not very skilled with cars. I drive them and that's about it--don't do repairs myself under most circumstances.

Alternately, is there something I could get for this black plastic to fill in the scrapes? Or am I better off getting the $30 replacement part? Finally, would I need the "left" or "right" one? (It's the drivers side so I'm assuming left, but I'd like to make sure).

·
Perry Important Vember
18,773 Posts
Ehh... I know a lot of other owners on here that have disregarded that part and have taken it off their cars (myself included). It does scrape, especially when you intentionally lower your car - so if you're planning on doing that in the future, you may want to just disregard it and let it 'scrape' more and more, of take it off permanently.

·
Premium Member
19,670 Posts
i think replacing that part is overkill, its gonna scrape on large speedbumps, sharp dips, and driveway aprons. Are you really going to want to shell out however much money it is every time this piece of black plastic gets a little scraped?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think part of it is basically me being OCD about things because this is my very first brand new car. Both of my previous cars were castoffs from family members. I do know Civics ride lower than some vehicles but I intend to keep mine stock. I realize there are probably a lot of performance enthusiasts on here who like to mod their cars, but I don't intend to. Basically I want good, reliable transportation that looks nice too.

If it scrapes up more over time and gets really bad I'll probably replace it now that I know the part is fairly cheap (have seen $30 or thereabouts), just wanted to know how to do it/how easy it is for someone who hardly knows how to work on cars. I do have years of experience as a computer tech, so I'm not completely helpless mechanically, it's just that I never took any courses/learned how to work on cars. I am willing to learn though!

·
Perry Important Vember
18,773 Posts
Well, it is "locked on" by the "push pins" that Honda has.. they get their name because they look like oversized push pins and it basically locks on with other plastic parts underneath the car that protects it. When you get under the car, you'll see how it is attached.. it is a pain, because if you lose the 'push pins', you have to pay like $5 for a bag of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they basically work like push pins/thumb tacks? Sounds simple enough to me--how does the old one come out? Just by pulling out the push pins?

·
Perry Important Vember
18,773 Posts
You pull them out with flat screwdrivers, but carefully. they don't need a lot of force to come out, you just need to 'pull' out the top and they will come out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds simple enough to me. I may order some extra push pins to have on hand if I go ahead and do this, certainly wouldn't hurt and I have family members with Civics who could always use them if they have the same problem (I'm willing to bet they do since both my parents have 08s and I know they've hit lots of pork chops, snow, etc).

EDIT: I am aware the 08 uses a different, unified bumper spoiler, but I'm guessing the pins are the same.

·
Perry Important Vember
18,773 Posts
Yep! Very simple, but down the line, you may come across some frustration where you may entirely disregard it. Anyhow, love the car, enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's not worth it. I broke like 4 of those push pins when I tried to take my bumper off to install fog lights. I scraped that black piece under the car within the first few days of buying my car too, damn really high speed bump.

·
Registered
574 Posts
dont do it

its just going to happen again

and again

and again
Yeah. Not worth replacing, b/c it'll just get hit again. I've already scraped that black plastic piece twice. There are just too many speed bumps and driveway entrances with bumps/dips that are unavoidable.

I was concerned at first, but the scrapes aren't visible, so it doesn't bother me. It's not as if there's a dent or missing paint. It might as well be a wear item like brake pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Talked to a Honda enthusiast today and he recommended just removing it. Any drawbacks to that?

Also, my scrapes are visible as there are some on the side. I don't really care if there are a few on the bottom of it, but the side is a different story.

My car seems to ride extremely low--I can hear scraping noises whenever I drive on certain driveways. Maybe I'm just used to a big old Volvo (my previous car), but maybe something needs adjusted? I've got a good service plan with the car so I may just run it past the dealer and see what's up. If I keep the spoiler on the front I'm definitely replacing the driver's side panel, at least for now while the car's brand new. I know it's going to set me back a few bucks, but I'd rather the car not have visible scrapes on the side of that piece, especially since that particular area I was in was a one-time visit; I'm not visiting that particular place again. I'll probably fix it within the next 15 days unless I can get a good enough reason to remove that piece.

Also--noticed my grandparents' Accord doesn't have any plastic piece at all. It's a previous generation (2004) and has been in an accident, so I'm not sure if maybe something was removed when body work was done. (I seem to remember the accident damaging the back side, however--body work on it is so good you can't tell anything happened to it so I couldn't point out the location of the impact if you asked me to).

My mom's Civic has no visible scrape on the bumper spoiler and I know it's been over stuff more severe than what I've hit. The 08s seem to have a different material for this piece, and it appears to be one unit instead of three. Thankfully I'd only need the one side on mine!

Maybe I just need to adjust to a lower car too? That Volvo could go over a pork chop in the middle of the road and not scrape.

Definitely a fun car, very happy in my choice of a Civic, but sure am concerned about my car potentially riding too low! I heard scraping when I braked at the bottom of a hill!

·
Registered
495 Posts
it takes getting used to

its definitely lower then a " big old volvo"

im coming from a grand cherokee...

lol yea big difference

the chance of it being lower then usual is slim to none

especially if its not used.

just remove the whole thing if it bothers you so much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my 09 FG2 not too long ago and it had like 3150 miles on it. That plastic piece was all scratched up and stuff so I thought about removing it. I guess I will go ahead with that idea. It seems sort of pointless down there if you asked me...just waiting to be scraped.

·
Banned
2,704 Posts
I just bought my 09 FG2 not too long ago and it had like 3150 miles on it. That plastic piece was all scratched up and stuff so I thought about removing it. I guess I will go ahead with that idea. It seems sort of pointless down there if you asked me...just waiting to be scraped.
i wouldnt i always use it as an indicator for JUST IN CASE so i do **** up my bumper that hits first if its too low or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, it appears the bumper would hit long before the spoiler if it's going to hit. The bumper itself is reasonably high off the ground, not so much for the spoiler. I've looked at other Civics and the bumpers themselves always look good--even a Civic which I know went over something worse than I did (center barrier of a road as opposed to bad pavement at the entrance to a parking lot).

Ordering the new part tomorrow, will probably install it either late this week or early next so I can get that car looking perfect again. Have some extra cash right now due to Christmas so cost isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new Civic owner, bought one last week and love it.

However, coming from a much higher car, I'm not used to the low clearances of a Civic. I scraped my front bumper air spoiler (the black piece under the bumper) today after hitting a raised bit of pavement in a poorly-lit parking lot.

I'm looking to replace this. The scrape may be minor, but I don't want my brand new car to have a scraped part on it! (The paint/bumper itself are both fine, just this plastic piece got some very minor scrapes). I found the replacement parts on multiple sites and they're cheap, but is this something I should do or leave to a dealer? Also, would the dealer be able to get this part or would I need to go to their body shop?

From the looks of it all I'd need to do is clip this thing on. However, I'm not very skilled with cars. I drive them and that's about it--don't do repairs myself under most circumstances.

Alternately, is there something I could get for this black plastic to fill in the scrapes? Or am I better off getting the $30 replacement part? Finally, would I need the "left" or "right" one? (It's the drivers side so I'm assuming left, but I'd like to make sure).
Hi! Do you know where i can buy that part and what is it’s part number? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts