8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

We've known rough performance numbers on the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe for some time now: 0-60 in under six seconds, up to 30 mpg with the 2.0T, and so on. But one set of key numbers has eluded us until now: price. Hyundai's rear-drive performance hopeful will weigh in at $22,000 for the base 210-hp 2.0L turbo model, and the 306-hp 3.8L V6 will start at $25,000.

Despite being the price leader, the 2.0T still piles on a lot of kit including a six-speed manual transmission, a full compliment of brake-related electronics (ABS, traction control, brake force distribution, and brake assist) and 18-inch alloys wrapped in Bridgestone Potenzas. Standard creature comforts include keyless entry, cruise control, air conditioning, leather wrapped wheel and shifter, a six-speaker AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 player with USB port and steering wheel audio controls, and Bluetooth.

Tuner types and gearheads will probably be most interested in the newly announced mid-priced 2.0T R-Spec model ($23,750). Hyundai has chosen not to make the R-Spec a stripped-out lightweight performance model. As such, the model still includes things like the aforementioned six-speaker stereo, air-conditioning and remote keyless entry, but the 137-mph coupe also gets Hyundai's full compliment of performance hardware, including uprated Brembo brakes, stiffened suspension, a Torsen limited-slip differential, and 19-inch gunmetal alloys wrapped with summer tires.

On the top end, a full-house 3.8-liter Track model Genesis Coupe with six-speed ZF automatic will run $31,000, and that model will get the performance bits from the R-Spec listed above, along with HID headlamps, a rear spoiler, and so on. Inside, buyers will be greeted by leather seats, aluminum pedals, proximity key, power moonroof controls, and a ten-speaker 360-watt stereo with subwoofer and eight-channel amplifier.

Given the wide variety of packages and options available, we expect the Genny Coupe to be cross-shopped against a wide constellation of performance autos, including everything from the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Lancer Ralliart/Evo to the Ford Mustang, Nissan 370Z, Infiniti G37 and BMW 1-Series.

So... what tricks did Hyundai miss? If there are any glaring omissions on the Genesis Coupe's options list, it's that a navigation system won't be available until mid-year. Dealers should expect their first shipments of Genesis Coupes beginning later this month.

SOURCE: AutoBlog

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the pics being huge.

I hear you Steve, it sounds like a great car but then again I don't know.

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
i want a RWD turbo 4 banger.....like a Silvia.....but do i want a hyundai? don't know if i could do it. but my friend wants one. i will talk him into buying one and then i will know. looks like it will have a lot of potential. but i can't get over that it's a hyundai. and that interior doesn't do it for me. but 2.0T RWD tickles my fancy just a bit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Did anyone go to the auto show and see the red one they had? It looked awesome. I would be most interested in the R spec. Or, if they were to stuff the v8 at some point from the genesis sedan, that may be cool. Although it would be a gamble to build considering gas price instability. I just think that 210hp is a bit low, especially if the coupe is to weigh in at any more than 3200 lbs lets say.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
i want a RWD turbo 4 banger.....like a Silvia.....but do i want a hyundai? don't know if i could do it. but my friend wants one. i will talk him into buying one and then i will know. looks like it will have a lot of potential. but i can't get over that it's a hyundai. and that interior doesn't do it for me. but 2.0T RWD tickles my fancy just a bit.
Don't be so quick to discount the car just because it's a Hyundai. Hyundai and Kia both have drastically improved in quality over the recent years. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kia or Hyundai if I were in the market for a new car.

I have to say that if I were in the $20k price range in my hunt this would be up there at the top of the list. The performance and amenities alone make it worth it, then you factor in the incentives (100k mile warranty/assurance program) and you have several good reasons to get over the badge fear.

I say :claps: for Hyundai, just one more step in the process of being the equivalent of Toyota/Lexus.

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
just a little skeptical. they certainly have come a long way in the last 10 years. but are they at a level where i would be confident in jumping on their launch "performance vehicle".....it'll take some investigating and several test drives before i could consider myself a potential hyundai owner. if i hated them that much i would be saying "no way, no how". i am saying, "i want to check dis shiz out yo."

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
It's a give and take. I have known some folks with Hyundais and I personally wouldn't be so quick to scrap the name and just look at the spec sheet. This could turn out to be a huge turning point for the brand or a big fail. I'll reserver judgement for a couple of years until we see how they hold up and what issues they may have.

Just given what it looks like on paper, I think it's stunning and exactly what people are looking for.

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
i know my friend used to bust some pretty fatty ebrake slides approaching red lights in his beater accent. those were good times. took his car in and they goodwill replaced his brake system. at least they have awesome customer service and warranty.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This is a big let down for me.. the track model is $27,500 after destination charges. The base and premium don't have hardly any goodies at all. No Brembos, no LSD, no HID's, no spoiler, no fogs, no tuned suspension, etc. The base model is just too bland for my tastes and I was really expecting a 19-20K base and 24-25K track model after destination. Half the members at the gencoupe forums have already jumped ship it seems.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I guess I'm a little concerned at the prospect of a large scale couple these days, and it's viability considering it's size and weight in today's economy. Cars like a Supra, or Camaro of the 90's, are just too big. I wouldn't expect this car really to be in the sport compact segment, but more trying to steal buyers from the sport luxury segment

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Tuner types and gearheads will probably be most interested in the newly announced mid-priced 2.0T R-Spec model ($23,750). Hyundai has chosen not to make the R-Spec a stripped-out lightweight performance model. As such, the model still includes things like the aforementioned six-speaker stereo, air-conditioning and remote keyless entry, but the 137-mph coupe also gets Hyundai's full compliment of performance hardware, including uprated Brembo brakes, stiffened suspension, a Torsen limited-slip differential, and 19-inch gunmetal alloys wrapped with summer tires.
Y HELO THAR.

Do want now.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts